Do you let you kids run ahead of you in a parking lot?

I've seen a rash of this activity lately around my town!!

lmsar

Asked by lmsar at 3:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• no! i do let my 18 mo old walk by my side but i make sure I have her hand and she knows better than to let go and take off.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• The rule is his hand is either on the cart or holding a parent's hand while crossing the parking lot. On sidewalks, he can walk ahead of me, but he always stops at intersections. Too many accidents happen in parking lots for me to feel comfortable with it. My daughter is just getting to the point where she can walk well, so she is still in the cart or stroller, or being held. But her rule will be the same too.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Oh heavens no! I have a 4 yo, 3 yo, and a 17mo, and I either throw everyone in the first available cart I can find or we have to all hold hands. There are too many people who drive through parking lots like it's the freeway to risk letting my kids get out of my easy reach.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• no and never will you dont know whats going to happen in this crazy world
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Oh hell no, I have my hands on my kids at all times! 1 is 5yrs and the other 11...I would never think of letting them do that..and it irritates me when I see kids running ahead of or behind their parents and the parents arent paying attention.
    summerm

Answer by summerm at 4:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Me too that's why I was asking. I saw a parent in a tiny parking lot chomping down on an ice cream cone doing nothing about her young, probably 4, daughter running off to the car. Tiny or not she shouldn't allow this, ugh!
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 4:44 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Hell no. My daughter is almost 8 and she walks next to me.
    Kylie819

Answer by Kylie819 at 7:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I've seen this too! It's crazy! With my nephew (we helped raise him) I'd point to the ground and say "That's a parking lot you need a hand!" every time! I'm a safety nut though.

My son is only 10 months old, but I imagine I'll be the same with him.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:25 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Arg. My son is 7 and he wants to do this frequently. I have to call him down and get on to him harshly everytime he attempts it. Its not the hes disobedient, he just gets excited and has tons of energy. He doesnt see that people are nuts when they drive and especially nuts in the walmart parking lot. Its like no matter what walmart you go to, people lose their minds in the parking lot. So no, I dont let him, but he still tries. He forgets just like any other kid.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:43 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• hell no! when my kids get out of my car they know to go and stand at the back tire. if one of them forgets i just have to say "back tire" and that's where they go. it's close and safe (not out in the lot) but far enough away from the door to not be in the way.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 8:55 AM on Jun. 6, 2009