How do I start feeling better about life?

I feel like I'm in a real low place right now. It's so depressing. My husband hours were cut to part-time for 4 months last year and then in Jan he got laid off. Money is tight and it seems like everyone has plans for their kids this summer and a vacation planned. We're sitting at home doing nothing much.
My house is a disaster there's a lot of work to be done to it and it drives me nuts that we can't fix anything because we don't have the cash.
I look at my body and just see rolls of fat and because i'm frustrated with things i just keep on eating.
How do i start feeling better about life? I know things could be worse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Health

• Get out and walk, the fresh air will do you good. There are plenty of free things to do about town, you just need to look into them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• one thing i've learned is depression starts with something simple... like not having $... then it continues to spiral down! Knowing you have no $ is ok for a short time, but pretty soon you see things you want/partially need. Knowing you can't buy them brings you down lower. Pretty soon everything around you just depresses you. The deeper the depression spirals down, the harder it is to come out...
    I have severe depression and i tried ending my life because of things that kept popping up. I'm not the happiest person ever, but i've managed to cheer up.
    We also have no $ EVER! I haven't seen my hubby in 11 mo and every day I wonder if he's all right or if something happened! I am now happy that at least I have my family... because they will help you through. It's hard, but try looking at the little things that actually go right.... I hope this helps!!!! and I hope you feel better
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Don't worry about the vacation plans of others. If you can't afford it, thats ok. You can still have fun with your children. Not everyone has money for a vacation so you are not alone on that.As far as feeling bad about yourself. Do something simple as walking for yourself. Take a 10 minute walk and it will do wonders for you, it will clear your brain.Your home may be a disaster, but, can't you make it a neat looking disaster. You may not have money to fix it up, but, can you just make it look good, and this will help you too.Its the little things in life that matter.Whatever you do, never worry about what others are doing..I will tell you this, I don't have the money for a vacation either, but, thats ok, because I am alive to enjoy my family
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:08 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Focus on you and your family. You have a home and your have a loving family! Don't ever compare yourself or your family to others. Where ever you live, there are plenty of free things to do: parks, libraries, farmers markets, etc. If you are in or near Chicago, contact me for more ideas.

When people have money issues, they have a tendency to stop buying healthy foods; this is such a HUGE mistake. Meals should be focuses on real, whole foods; stay away from processed foods and meats; they will kill your budget and your health. Past the age of 2,the only beverage humans need is water;don't buy juice,milk,soda,etc.Replace meat with beans,lentils &tofu.Cook dried beans and lentils instead of buying canned.Whole grains,like whole wheat pasta &brown rice,may cost more than simple grains,like white rice &pasta,but they are more filling &more nutritious,so they really are the better value.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Frozen fruits &vegetables often cost less than fresh;they have the added advantage of having a longer shelf life &holding their nutrition longer.Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner: yogurt with frozen blueberries &whole grain cereal or an omelet with veggies &a little bit of cheese &whole grain toast.Before you go to the grocery store,plan your meals &snacks for the next 8days.Base your grocery list on your meal plan.Pull any necessary coupons.Eat before you shop.Buy only what’s on your list.The sales at the store are not to save you money,but to get you to buy more than you need;if you don't know for sure that you will use it in the next two weeks,don't buy it.If you would like some healthy &budget friendly recipes,feel free to contact me
    -Robin

• I agree with all the others, I haven't had a vacation in years, but that's not the worst thing in the world. Count your Blessings, literally, write them down! You have your health, a home, food, and clothing, do you have a washer and dryer at home so you don't have to go to the laundromat (so many don't) you have clean water, a vehicle, you know how to budget and get your money to go farther, think of all the things we take for granted, hot water, family and friends, we all have so much when there are millions who have so little. I know it sounds hard, I have been there, somedays, I am still there. I am bi-polar single mom raising 2 kids and I just learned that one is not only doing drugs but was trying to GROW pot in my house! No matter what you think, it can always get worse. Now go wash your face and hug your kids and hubby and put on a smile on :). LIfe isn't easy, take the lemons and make lemonaide, then sell it!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• the only way to feel better about life is to feel better about yourself..build confidence in who you are and everything will fall into place..let it be..take a feature on you that you love *example: your eyes* and every time you look into the mirror say over and over again "my eyes are really beautiful today" and say it until you believe what you are saying..then compliment on somehting else "my skin looks really good today" and so on..everything happens for a reason..whether its good or bad there is always a reason..its okay that you are not getting a vacation..be happy you have a family you can spend time with..kids or parents sometimes spend their days seperated..isolated from whats true..charish the moments you share with your family thats they best memory ever..and your husband will find another job now or later..just start with yourself and everything will fall into place
    ilovEmma09

Answer by ilovEmma09 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2009