Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Special needs parents...

How do you go about getting a handicapped sticker for your vehicle? Do you need a script from the doc? What are the steps?

Answer Question

Asked by lmsar at 4:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 12 (764 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • i'd call the bmv to ask. my sister got one for her son and i think the dr had to sign off on it

    Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 8:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

  • If you need a hang tag or handicapped plate, then you should ask one of your child's doctors for the form, as they will need to fill out the form & sign it. Then, once you have the completed form, depending on your state, you will need to file it with the DMV and possibly pay a fee. There are two types of hang tags - temporary, which is only good for 6 months, and permanent, which is good for up to 10 years - so make sure you ask for the right one. If you get a license plate, I believe there is a limit on those, too, for when you must recertify your continued need for it, but that varies from state to state.


    Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:28 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

  • Go to the DMV for a form or print one online. You will fill out part of it and the doctor will fill out the rest. There will be a mailing address on the form.

    Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 9, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.