A very gross question.

Ok,.. I just gave birth on June 3rd. I had her naturally, a very healthy baby girl, YAY! Now, being that this is my first child everything scares me. I was told that I would bleed for two to three weeks, almost like a really long period. I have the cramping and pains and all that. What scares me most, is that the past couple of days, Ive been passing quite a few blood clots. I was told this was normal, and I should be fine. However, I really dont know whats TOO big of a blood clot or not. I see them every time I go to use the bathroom. I dont feel dizzy, or fatigue or anything. My legs are fine, and I'm not heavily bleeding. Its just the blood clots that are really making me go HUH?! Should this be a cause for concern? Have any of you gone through the same thing? I dont know if I'm over reacting, or if it should be something to be checked out. All thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!!

lynmarie813

Asked by lynmarie813 at 4:44 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Health

• clots are normal and it's been 3 days. If you're feeling fine no fever and what you're passing isn't unpleasant in odor I wouldn't worry.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 4:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• you should be fine, i had my son last yr i dialted to 8 then stopped so i had a c-section and i was freaking out about the same thing. my husband was so scared because he thought i wwas bleeding to much and the dr at the er said it was normal. I had big clots, and i guess what scared my husband and i the most was that when i stood up o ff the beed it was soaked in blood and i sat on it for about 7 to 8 minutes and it was running run my legs and the nurse's checked everything and told me it was normal, it will be extremly heavy the first couple of weeks than kinda fades to a light pinkish than brown. I bleed for about 36 day give or take a lil.
    snavarro

Answer by snavarro at 4:54 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• When I had my daughter. I was told if i had more than like one to two a blood clots bigger then a quarter a day, to be concerned.
    HANNAHSMOMMY25

Answer by HANNAHSMOMMY25 at 5:08 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• First, congratulations on your new family member!

This sounds normal. You many want to increase your iron, if you are really concerned. Combining an iron source (like beans) with a vitamin C source (tomatoes, onions, etc.) increases the absorbtion of the iron. Here is one of my favorites: make a smoothie with frozen blueberries, frozen banana chunks, kale, orange juice, yogurt; the banana masks the taste of the kale, the kale is loaded with iron and calcium

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• That smoothie sounds good. But anyways i had clots for about a week and then i was OK, It sounds normal but really if you need some reassurance then just give the doctor a call and see what they say. If I'm concerned then i will call the doctor that's there job. Congrats on the new LO enjoy every moment it goes so fast.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Thanks everyone!!!! You all have made me feel a lot better :) Yay for motherhood!!!!
    lynmarie813

Answer by lynmarie813 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2009