Anyone have any creative ways to teach phonics to a two year old? (She already knows her letters... we want to move on to sounds.)

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Begin with having her practise beginning sounds. By that I mean have her start hearing sounds. Say things like cccccup, dddddog.Then ask her to do that with lots of different words. The next thing is to take 3 letters not in any order and do this: 1. This is a (ba) for "B", this is a wa for "W", this is a ssss for "S". You don't need to say the name of the letters, just the sounds. 2. Can you show me the "W", the "S", the "B"? If she doesn't remember repeat step 1. 3. Say what is this and point to a letter. Again, if she can't show you, repeat steps 1 & 2. It usually takes a few days everyday to teach 3 letters. It's better to do lower case letters because that's what 90% of what reading is. Just remember to always switch up the order so they don't just say the sounds in order. Have fun!

Answer by jackimci at 5:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• Leap Frog's Fridge Phonics Magnetic Letter Set Taught My Two-Year ...
    Sep 10, 2007 ... LeapFrog has an ingenious learning toy called the Fridge Phonics Magnetic Letter Set, which amazingly taught my two-year-old to recognize ... - 45k -

Answer by vbruno at 3:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Leapfrog DVD called Letter Factory!!! It is fabulous!

Answer by Lynette at 7:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Try Teach your child to read in 100 easy leassons.

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2008