Myrtle Beach Suggestions

My friends and I decided to take our families to Myrtle Beach. I need ideas for hotels and family oriented things to do including godd restaurants. Children will be going so no Bike week lol. Thanks for the suggestions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Travel

• We went one year and it WAS bike week, horrible. We will not be going back.

We didnt know where to stay or anything and ended up being on the wrong side of town. lol so to speak.

We recently took a trip and my dh was showing me that on google maps you can zoom in to street level and actually look at the hotel from the outside and the area that it is in.

I dont really know how he did it, but it was super neat. Like you were driving down the street. You could see what all was around the hotel and drive as far as you wanted down the street.

I wish I could tell you how to do it. i just know he was on google maps, put in the address of a hotel you like, take the little yellow man on the directions bar, and drop him anywhere on the map, then use the roller button to get closer.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:34 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I took my three kids to Myrtle Beach last year (by myself). We stayed at The Captains Quarters.(www.captainsquarters.com) The rates are reasonable. I know two other families that stayed there and it came highly recommended to us. It was great!

from thier webpage: "Vacationers will find a large collection of water amenities for everyone to enjoy. Indoor pool, three outdoor pools plus the Ship Wreck Lagoon Water attraction, six whirlpools, indoor and outdoor lazy river rides, kiddie pools along with large pool decks makes CQ Resort the perfect place for sunning and relaxing. The Soggy Dollar Pool Bar has refreshing drinks, ideal for cooling off during your fun in the sun. Located on the sixth floor is The Level 6 Entertainment complex that features 20 AMF bowling lanes with electronic scoring, video arcade games, pool tables and more."

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• "I dont really know how he did it, but it was super neat. Like you were driving down the street. You could see what all was around the hotel and drive as far as you wanted down the street."

Its called "street view" and if there is a little person on the google map you can get the street view. When the window opens you can drag the screen around to look right-left-down, and even up. I played with it one day and you can actually follow cars and such as they drive. I guess they did all the images from a vehicle driving down the street. Its cool, but sometimes creepy as you can check out peoples YARDS and HOUSES as well!! I'm glad our street isn't on the "Street View"!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• veronica! yea! thats what he did, and our house IS ON THERE, it was kinda creepy to see your own house on there, anyone can "stake out" your house without even being there.

Technology is great, but sometimes it worry's me.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• If you want more of a family atmosphere, look at hotels in North Myrtle or Cherry Grove. Myrtle Beach has gotten very commercialized and the "strip" has gotten geared toward a younger rowdier crowd! Good resttaurants are Hamburger Joes (across from Barefoot Landing), Carolina Roadhouse, Dixie Stampede is a show with great food. There are several good restaurants at Broadway at the beach (this is a shopping area). Go on tripadvisor. com, I always look hotels up there before I book anything! Have fun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I just recieved their torist info booklet in the mail. We are headed there for 3 days at the end of August!! I am happy you posted this! I hope you get some more replies. when are you going?
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• actually Myrtle Beach is stopping bike week. Not sure if it's this year or not.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I've been to Myrtle Beach several times (3 times with kids). We always stay at the Sea Mist Resort (www.seamist.com). It is a very nice resort with very affordable family value packages. If you get the package, you get daily tickets for everyone to the Family Kingdom Amusement & Water park, free unlimited use of their mini golf course, free movies in their own theater, free use of their onsite water park & children's activity pool, etc. If you stay 4 or more nights everyone will get a free breakfast buffet. They also offer daily activities at the resort and discount tickets to area attractions. We always go to Broadway at the Beach. It is an awesome shopping, dining & entertainment complex. We go at least twice each time we're there. Last year when we went, we went to the Dixie Stampede (expensive, but so much fun & well worth it). If you go, get discount tickets from SeaMist (they even have a discount family night).
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 13, 2009