Would this offend anyone??

My husband and I have been looking for a new house for well over 6 months. Right now we are renting a small apartment. About a month ago (I didn't see a move in our near future) my dad said he was coming to town, and I told him he could stay 2 wks at our house. He wants to stay with us because he wants to see our baby, plus we live (right now) about 15 minutes away from my mom's and he'd like to visit my sisters (who live with my mom). This week we found a new house, and we've already rented it and started packing the non-necessities. We'll have to be out of the apartment within a week, and our new house is about 20 minutes FURTHER away from my sisters. Do you think this will put extra stress on him? Or am I putting him in a bad spot? Do you think it's going to offend him? He's coming today, and I haven't told him that we are moving yet! We can't stay in our apartment, because we used our rent money for the deposit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• He will understand and if he does have a problem with it then that's his problem. If your dad is anything like mine then he will understand and go with the flow of things. You have your own family and that's what's comes first in your life now.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• He is your father and a grown adult. He should understand completely. Plus, sometimes you need to do what is best for you and your family and if he gets upset, tell him your sorry but there is a holiday inn down the street.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 8:15 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I agree w/ kscmbz, he is a grown man. He will understand.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 8:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• i agree with the pp. but, i think you should have told him ahead of time so he'd know what was up. just incase he didn't want to feel... in the way during the move. he could have made other arrangements
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 8:31 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I would have told him, but he's been traveling since we found our new house, and I haven't been able to contact him. I'm pretty sure he knows that we've been looking. And he's more than welcome to stay with us at our new house, too, but I just don't want him to be offended by having to drive 20 minutes further to visit my sisters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• You should have told him so it won't come as a surprise when he is already there. This will cause him stress- to think arrangements have been made and find out that all has changed. Perhaps you can find the easiest roads for him to travel on his longer commute. When you tell him about the change of plans, keep it upbeat- "you'll have a bigger room now and your own bathroom and be much more comfortable!" like that.

Answer by Bmat at 9:09 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Oh I am sure he will understand and hes free to make other arrangements or cut his time with a bit shorter. As an adult, most people can be flexible with things like that. I am sure he will super happy for you. Good luck!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I'm sure he will understand, and I'm sure if he feels it's a problem, he will make other arrangements. And if he does get offended, well, that's his problem not yours. You can't put your life on hold just so he isn't inconvienenced.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• This wouldn't be something that should upset him, but why didn't you tell him earlier?
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:55 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• If it does upset him he'll have to get over it. Just because he's a grown man doesn't mean that he won't get upset. He's lucky to have a free place to stay, and if the distance bothers him, he can get a room close to your sisters for a few days. My guess is you are going to feel silly for being worried about this. Your father will probably be overjoyed for you!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 6, 2009