is wanting a baby at 18 and still in school a goood idea?

i really want to have a baby ive wanted to fall pregnant for a long time now

iwannabeamum

Asked by iwannabeamum at 8:15 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Babies truly change everything. I'm almost 26, married and am a home owner and it is STILL tough for me, so I can only imagine how tough it would be at 18. Don't get me wrong she is worth everything, but you really need to be willing to let your self go and the baby becomes #1 in your life. Do you feel ready for that? Can you provide financially for a baby? Diapers aren't cheap! Are you in a committed relationship, and if you bring your baby into it is the baby going to have a Mom and a Dad around?
    Just think about it.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• No. It is not a good idea. People may tell you otherwise, but in the end it is not a good idea. Finish school, get a job, move out on your own, and then have a baby.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:21 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I don't want you take this the wrong way,but, a child is a lot of work and I'm 31 and i have a child and two step-children also. Your 18 and you have your whole life in front of you and have plenty time to have babies. Live your life and go to college finish high school and fall in love and then get married then have children. You don't have to be married I'm not yet but we fell in love and then got preggo and we didn't plan on get preggo that soon into our relationship but we are in are 30's and glad we were older. If you need to talk to someone more about this please feel free to e-mail anytime.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• no. it's not a good idea unless you're in a stable relationship, outta school, and have the means to support this child. I had my oldest son at 16... you don't want to go down that road, believe me.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 8:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Girl, put it off. You have 20 more years to have all the babies you want!!! now is the time for travel, adventure, education, and fun. Give yourself a chance to be young a bit longer before you dive into adulthood head first. I am 31, with 2 kids and a home now but I had many years of fun and freedom before having children. I would never have finished college with my kids. It was hard enough by itself. PS I have not slept more than 3 hours at a time in 10 months! That is no joke. My sons are always needing constant attention. It will be wonderful and perfect when it does happen. I am just telling you to give it some more time. Life is so hard, try not to intentionally make it harder for yourself. you have tons of time left...:)
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 8:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I got pregnant with my daughter when I was 19. I was working dead-end jobs and had to quit when I was 7 mos pregnant with her and move in with my parents bc the father turned out to be an ass. If it weren't for my parents, my daughter and I would've been out on the street with nothing. I got to work and take part time classes while living with them. What I'm saying is, it's not a good idea right now, unless you have some type of an amazing support system.

Lucky for me, my HS sweetheart and I are now married and have another child and we have another on the way. We're only 23 and 24 but he is in the army and has a stable job with healthcare and good pay. But again, if it weren't for him, I'd still be in a bind. It is very hard to work or go to school and raise children at the same time.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• and also, children get sick at the most inconvenient times and bosses do NOT like that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• With the way the world is now, you NEED to finish school, even go to college, so that when you have a baby, you will be able to take care of the baby. Its not cheap by any means.Even if you get married, always make sure that you will be able to take care of yourself and a child you may have.Never depend on anyone else or anything else but yourself.Its a favor you can only do for yourself.You have a lot of time to have a baby, and making sure you are stable is the best thing that you can do for a child.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• For your sake and that of your child, put it off. You have a lot of growing to do, yourself. You'll continue to learn about the world and about yourself and about what is important in life. A child is total responsibility. Remember that although babies are very cute, that they don't stay infants for long, they become teenagers with huge problems. Not to mention the expense. It is wisest to be able to support yourself first and then decide if you are ready to support another human being. Think what kind of home you can provide for the other human being, who will have medical, clothing, educational, and social interaction needs.

Answer by Bmat at 8:56 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• By the way, it is perfectly natural at your age to want a child. It is instinctive. Our long ago ancestors didn't live very long, so they started having children at a young age to try to have as many as quickly as they could. So your feelings are normal. These days, though, we can do what is best for the child, which is to make sure we can provide for her or him.

Answer by Bmat at 9:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2009