Breastfeeding and periods

I'm exclusively bfing my 3 month old and still haven't had a period since having her. This is normal since I'm nursing, right? When does it come back?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I nursed DD for 13 months... no period for the 9 months of pregnancy plus the 13 months of nursing (except for after birth bleeding) and then it took me a month to start - best months of my life! LOL It was HEAVEN!!

Enjoy enjoy!

And congrats on your new little one!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• it was normal for me. i never had a period while breast feeding with either of my sons, except for the one after delivery. it came back fairly quickly after i quit bf.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 8:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• There really is no "normal" cycle when you're breastfeeding. The whole time I breastfed (which was only 3 months) I only had 1 period. Now my baby is 5 months old, and I haven't had any more periods, and I'm not even breastfeeding anymore. I think having a baby just screws up your body for a little while.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• yup...i bf for a year and didnt get a period until the baby was like 8-9 moinths old
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 8:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I didn't get my first period until DD was 17 months old. Completely normal and enjoy being curse free!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Some people get back their period immediately.

With my first she was 16 months old before I got it back, and with the second, she was 15 months old when I got it back.

I got pregnant about 6 months after I stopped nursing my first, then I got pregnant after only ONE period with my second. I'm loving this. I've had maybe 1 year of a cycle since I got pregnant with number 1 6 years ago!
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:29 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• ha me too!! as soon as i stopped nursing, i got preg again
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• The average time for an exclusively breastfeeding mom (no solids until 6 months, no pacifiers, nursing on demand including during the night) to get her period back is 14 months. There is a HUGE range of what is *normal*. Anywhere from 3-24 mos but 14 mos is the average. I got mine at 8 months and 11 months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2009