what are the best towels? pottery barn?

i never had a registry when i got married and so i just have a few mismatch towels.. really need to get a matching set - especially since we'll finally be moving to a house and have more bathrooms and space. any towel recommendations? ralph lauren, pottery barn...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yes, I do like Ralph Lauren, but also the ones made by Martex. They might be under the brand Martex, Wamsutta, or Cannon. I m not sure if they are all made by the same co, but they are nice. I have a Ralph Lauren outlet down the street and they have linens and such too. One of my fave stores.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:33 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I like the cannon ones from the wal-mart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My MIL taught me to get cheaper towels. I get terry, all cotton, and not the huge towels- I get something big enough but smaller than some. They dry you just as well and take up less room in the washer and less time to dry- so in the long run they are much less expensive. I don't buy by brand, I buy what's on sale that meets my requirements.

Answer by Bmat at 8:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• And I'm so silly that I can't stand an over luxurious towel simply b/c they don't absorb as well. Its like they just move the water around on the skin. I don't want the opposite which would be scratchy but something that is middle of the road. I'm a middle-of-the-road person about everything, tho. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I'm with lifeasinoit - I've found the super high-end towels (especially the "designer" brands) to be awful. Even when the towel is 100% cotton, it just seems to move the water around. In general, I've found brands like Ralph Lauren to be junk in everything from clothes to sheets - you pay a lot more for the name but get far less in quality. The only exception I've found is Lands' End - those cost quite a bit but are very nice and last forever.

Simply go to the store and pick some towels that feel nice to you, that have colors you like, that you can afford. Buy a set. Try them out. If you like them after a month, go buy some more.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I bought some very nice luxurious cotton towels at Anna's Linens recently...for $7 apiece. They're awesome! Much better than others I've spent twice as much on before. If you have an Anna's nearby, check there as they have a lot of very high quality bedding and bath products at great discounts.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• The best towels I've ever used are Macy's Hotel Collection but they're expensive.  They wash well, dry well and are thick, soft and super-absorbant. 

They're also expensive as hell, IMO.

I bought two sets when they were on sale and I keep my eye out for when they clearance out a color. 

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 3:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2009