What is a good weight gain for a second pregnancy?

i am 7 months pregnant, i have gained 14 pounds, and i know if that is a good weight gain or not? any info

Mamaof2boys0709

Asked by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• what is your secret? As long as you are eating well, getting plenty of nutrition, staying active and getting rest when you can you are on target. I was a size 6 when I conceived my second child and thought I would have no problem taking off the weight like I did with the first. OH No..I am still a size 12 and my son is 8 months old! And I eat well and excersize. So I would no worry unless your doctor tells you otherwise!
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• that sounds pretty amazing to me lol. i think doctors go by your pre-pregnant weight. if youre underweight to normal, its like 25-30 lbs, if youre slightly overweight its 20-25. seeing as how you only have 2 months left, im jealous of your weight gain! =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It depends what your pre-pregnancy BMI was.
    normal body mass index (BMI, the ratio of height to weight) of 18.5 to 24.9 should gain between 25 and 35 pounds (11.5-16 kg)
    underweight women (BMI less than 18.5) gain 28 to 40 pounds (12.5-18 kg), and overweight women (BMI of 25 to 29.9) put on 15-25 pounds (7-11.5 kg).
    For obese women (BMI greater than 30), the new guidelines specify a "relatively narrow range" of recommended pregnancy weight gain between 11 and 20 pounds (5-9 kg).
    thats the official pregnancy guidelines :)
    For me you are doing just great - the majority of weight gain happens in the 3rd trimester and towards the end of the pregnancy you may gain pound weekly. Your current number gives you plenty of room then :)
    Congrats!
    polkamama

Answer by polkamama at 10:09 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• i gained 36 pounds with this pregnancy. I'll be 41 weeks tomorrow. I gained 50 in my first pregnancy.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2009