my one month old seems to be very restless lately. he will sleep 2-3 hrs if my husband or i hold him, but only about 1 hr if we put him down. he has been fussy, and obviously tired... any tips or tricks out there?

i notice when we hold him he remains fairly still, on his own he begins to flail around in his sleep. gripe water has helped once or twice in the evening which leads me to believe his little tummy is bothering him, just not sure.

sopheeya

Asked by sopheeya at 9:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wrap him up in a receiving blanket like they do in the hospital nice and tight. Also one of those sleep positioners can help and lay him on his side between the positioner.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• i swaddle my daughter cause if we dont she would wake herself up when she would startle.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• i've tried that and sometimes it works for a little while, then he wakes up infuriated that he can't get to his hands! another thing i noticed that i forgot to mention is when he is lying down, he seems to be straining and then i hear him pass gas, but for some reason i don't see him having the same reactions when we hold him.
    sopheeya

Answer by sopheeya at 10:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• if it is gas--mylecon might help too. Swaddling helps a newborn. What about a swing-my son loved it when he was a newborn, or something that vibrates. Since your baby is only a month old he is used to be carried (by you) and many babies even after 6 months still like motion on a regular basis.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My twin girls lived in a swing till they were 5 months old . They were the same way. We found out they had reflux.when they were about 7 weeks old. Being in the swing helped them relax and helped up get some sleep :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:54 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• too bad for us the swing only works for about 10 min! the thing is he doesn't scream like most colicky babies, but i can see that he is in pain. i think he may have a high threshold for pain. he never cries for heel sticks and cried only a little for his shots. i just want my little guy to be comfy and get rest, he seems exhausted by this routine at the end of the day, but still does not stay asleep.
    sopheeya

Answer by sopheeya at 11:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Sounds like gas to me. Get some Mylcon (sp) it realy works good!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• What is he being fed breastmilk or formula (& what kind)?

Have you tried baby massage and or bicycling his legs?

Anonymous