I have a question for those who believe in spirits,and that they visit us.

Several years ago, we were getting ready to put flowers on the family graves, and I was depressed about it. Very early in the morning, I was crying,and thought I smelled my Grandfather's pipe tobacco. I openend my eyes, and he was standing at the foot of my bed. Healthy, like when I was a little girl,not like he was when he died. He told me my Grandma,and Father were with him,and they were happy,and I needed to stop worrying about them. I asked where they were, and he said he'd been sent since he'd been there the longest. I began crying,and shut my eyes,but when I opened them, he was gone,but smoke was swirling in the room. Do you think I had a dream, or do you think my Grandfather really came to me? I've not worried since that incident,and have had total peace about all three of them since. What's your take?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It was real to you, and that is what is important. I believe it was a real message from God sent by a messenger whom you knew and recognized. It was meant to comfort and reassure you. Remember in the Bible when Paul was lifted to the third heaven, and he was unable to even speak about what he had seen? There are some experiences that God gives to us that are so personal, no one else can begin to understand their significance to us. I believe that's what happened to you. So just recieve it as a visitation from God, and relish the memory of it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It could have been a dream, but I believe in spirits and ghosts and such. The real quesion is, do you believe it was real? People can put it down all they want, but if you feel in your heart that it was was real then I would go with that feeling!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:29 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Yes, I do believe it was real. I could smell the smoke from his pipe,and I could see it swirling in the room. I don't tell many people the story,cause most look at me like I'm nuts. Hence,the anon posting. But, I just wanted to get some more takes on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I believe your Grandpa was really there. My Grandpa passed away in 1987 and I always wished he could see me and my family. It really bothered me that he never got to see my kids. When my daughter was not quite 2, she started talking to "some man" in her room. We chalked it up to play and told her there was no man in her room. This went on for a few weeks with her insisting there WAS a man in her room. One day she was walking through the living room and stopped, she said, ok, ok, yes, I'll tell her. She walked over to me, put her hands on my knees and said "Mommy, your red headed papa says to tell you he loves you and he's proud of you. He says I'm pretty and Bubba is a good boy" I broke down crying. You see, Papa was redheaded, but my daughter had no way of knowing that because he died in 1987 and she didn't see him until 2002. So yes, I do believe that we are visited by our loved ones.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Only you know if it was real or not. And if you found peace from it, then I believe it to be something very real as well.
    I have experienced some things as well....and I do believe that we have energies around us from those before us. THese energies can offer peace when we need it, and warn us when we need it.
    I'm glad you feel something positive came out of this experience for you.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• OP here, thank you all for your beautiful answers. I really appreciate them,and they do go to enforce my own feelings that it was a real experience. So many I've shared it with IRL have said it was a dream,and nothing more,but it's always FELT like it was more,and now, all these years later, I can still remember every detail,just as if it happened just yesterday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I do believe they come but I have never personally saw them. I have heard things from my grandmother and I sometimes can smell her on my middle child. I used to think I was going crazy till 1 time I just asked my mother to smell my sons head but didn't tell her why and she teared up and said he smelled like my grandma her mother.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My grandmother visits me occasionally in my dreams. When she does, it's different than a "dream". I sit and converse with her. I can smell her, I can feel her hands. It's not all weird like normal dreams, It's more like a vision. And while I forget dreams I remember vividly every visit I've had with her...

So to answer your question. In my opinion, yes it was your grandfather. You should feel blessed.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I don't believe that our spirits leave Heaven once they get there. I think we forget about Earth; or ignore it, or something. Of course, since your grandpa went to Heaven, I don't see how it could have been him. I'll freely admit that makes it hard for me to come up with an answer, since you would have no reason to make this up, but there are lots of things I don't know the answer to. I get used to it.
    Maybe an angel in his image. Again, I don't know. I'm glad you got comfort from it, though.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 11:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I see what you're saying callmeann,and you make good sense, also. Guess I'll just never really know. Thanks again, for all the great answers. You all have given me answers without making me feel foolish,and I sure do appreciate that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2009