Does the birth father have to sign the birth certificate??

Does the birth father have to sign the Birth Certificate in order for me to give my son his last name??
And can he sign it later, if it's not done at the hospital?

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can give your son whatever name you want but the father's name can't go in the father's section until he signs the paternity affidavit. The hospital will have him sign the papers while he is up there and they have a notary on staff for that. He can sign that at any time or request a paternity test then the court will order the name on the bc.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My daughter has my last name and I have been married to her father for 8 years. You can give your child any name you choose. WIth or without the fathers name being on the birth certificate.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• In my state only 1 parent signs the birth certificate, it can be either. I just told them everything like our names mine, my husbands, the baby's and all the info. Then it had a spce for 1 parent to sign and I was the one in the room at the time. I have no idea how it works in your state.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 11:15 AM on Jun. 6, 2009