How do I keep my cool when my 2 1/2 year old is driving me nuts?

I am embarrassed to admit this, since I have always been anti-spanking, but lately I find myself loosing control and slapping my 2 1/2 year old daughter's hand away when she touches things that I've told her not to, and being a little rougher with her than I intend to. I always feel sooooo bad after it happens, but somehow I end up doing it over and over again. I have a 3 month old daughter also and I began loosing my temper when I brought her home from the hospital. I tried much harder in the beginning to be patient with my older daughter because I knew she was adjusting to her role of big sis, but at this point it's just getting really hard. I get especially annoyed when I am trying to put baby down for a nap and she won't be quiet. It drives me nuts even though I know that she's only 2 and I can't expect her to be silent. A lot of times I catch myself blaming her for my frustrations when I know it's not her fault. HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• *Just for this morning, I am going to s tep over the laundry, and pick you up and take you to the park to play..
    *Just for this morning, I will leave the Dishes in the sink, and let you teach me how to put that puzzle of yours together.
    *Just for this afternoon, I will unplug the telephone and
    keep the computer off, and sit with you in the backyard and blow bubbles.
    *J ust for this afternoon, I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck and I will buy you one if he comes by.
    *Just for this afternoon, I won't worry about what you are going to be when you grow up, or second guess every decision I have made where you are concerned.
    *Just for this afternoon, I will let you help me bake cookies, and I won't stand over you trying to fix them.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 9:56 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• YOU NEED A BREAK. Find a sitter and go out and get a massage or something. Remind yourself your sleep deprived and she is just a child. If you need quiet time either put her in her room or go in your room and shut the door. Take a mommy time out.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• A break my a$$. You need to be a good mom. Instead of slapping her, why not play with her when you put the baby down for a nap. Get some coloring books and crayons and you can color with her. That is quality quiet time for her with mommy.

It ticks me off when I see people have a baby and just totally neglect their older kids. Or worse, treat them horribly.

You chose to have another child while your first was still so young. Deal with the consequences and be a good mother to both of your children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• *Just for this afternoon, I will take us to McDonald's and buy us both a Happy Meal so you can have both toys.

*Just for this evening, I will hold you in my arms and tell you a s tory about how you were born and how much I love you.

*Just for this evening, I will let you splash in the tub and not get angry.

*Just for this evening, I will let you stay up late while we sit on the porch and count all the stars.

*Just for this evening, I will snuggle beside you for hours, and miss my favorite TV shows.

*Just for this evening when I run my finger through your hair as you pray, I will simply be grateful that God has given me the greatest gift ever given..
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 9:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• *I will think about the mothers And fathers who are searching for their missing children, the mothers and fathers who are visiting their children's graves instead of
    their bedrooms, and mothers and fathers who are in hospital rooms w atching their children suffer senselessly, and screaming inside that they can't handle it anymore.

*And when I kiss you good night I will hold you a little tighter, a l ittle longer.. It is then, that I will thank God for you, and ask Him for nothing, except one more day..............
    BooHooMommy

• We can't all walk around and pretend to be Mary Poppins and take like with a spoon full of sugar. Your a mom now. Your going to get stressed. But it will get easier with time. My 2 boys are 2 years apart also. It was SOOOO hard when I came from the hospital.
    Try laying the baby in the crib (she'll cry, bt she'll be ok) Then you and yor 2 year old lay down and take a nap together. I know yo need to bond with your newbie, but its important to make your 2 year old not feel left out. When their both driving you nuts and yo cant get away---just walk outside. Take a 5 minute break. Then, go back in and try again. Good luck. God Bless :)
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 10:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2009