acid reflux

If your child has acid reflux, how did the doctor diagnose it? What did they do to help it? Did anything help? What were some of the signs that your child has it? I am going to talk to her doctor about it at her next upcoming appointment but I was just wondering.

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 9:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Excessive vomiting after feedings. Excessive gas and stomach pains. Not holding down anything for the most part. You can try to slow down your baby's feedings. Give no more than an oz at a time and then rest for 5 minutes before giving the next oz. Do not lay them down after a feeding, keep the baby elevated with their head above their chest in a swing or bouncy seat for 30 minutes. Make sure you burp after every oz. You can also do stomach and back massage to relieve the gas bubbles. Do small circles up the stomach or back for a few minutes after feeding. You can also try the gas drop or even peppermint candy in warm water to see if that helps. Try a lighter formula or a soy based one.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I do a lot of those things. I burp after every ounce. I take breaks while feeding, she is on soy (lactose intolerence), I keep her upright for an hour after she eats, I use mylicon gas drops. She does not seem in pain she just has really wet burps, spits up a ton the whole time between feedings. and not just a little bit, its a lot. I have tried feeding her less more frequently. The only time she does not spit up is when she is sleeping at night. I have to change her bib every 20 mins cause its always so soaked with spit-up. She spits up when she burps, when she is cooing. It just seems to be excessive. I know babies spit-up but isnt there a point where its to much.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:02 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Both of my twins had reflux. We took them to Childrens Hospital in Pittsburg. They had me doing the same things your doing only we had to start putting cereal in their breastmilk bottles for a few months. It really helped keep the milk down. My girls would nurse then they would have milk coming out of their noses..it scared the day lights out of me but..they really do out grow it pretty fast. Just keep feeding up right and burping good. It may seem like alot but it's really not. Talk to your Dr. they know best :>)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2009