How can I make going outdoors with my 6 month old easier?

I have a very active 2 1/2 year old daughter and a 6 month old. My older daughter likes to be outdoors a lot, and since the nice weather is finally here, I'd like to be out more too. I just find it hard to juggle the baby when my older daughter wants me to run around and play with her. We have a swing set and sometimes I put the baby in her baby swing and push them both, but that gets old fast. The park is nice too, but I run into the same issues there. I tried putting baby in the Snugli and she did alright there, but I had limited playing ability with her strapped to me, plus we both got really hot and sweaty! Any suggestions?

MamaApril2

Asked by MamaApril2 at 9:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put the baby in a stroller with a few toys. Put down a blanket for the baby to sit on and play so you can play with your other daughter. You can still do things if your keeping the baby in your vision at all times. I have an 8 month old and I babysit a 3 and 4 year old daily and I take all 3 of them to the beach alone and shopping, if they want my attention then I put my daughter down and play with them while watching her. I just take a big blanket for her to sit on at the beach and toys along with her stroller.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Do you have a jumper or walker or exerciser thing? Put your baby in that. We put shoes on my baby and put a hat on her and put her in her walker outside. She loves it and has a more open area to move around than she does inside.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• stroller with shade, blanket with umbrella for shade.....what about a different carrier? check out this web site-they have a catalog too-reall unique ideas that might be what you are looking for...
    www.onestepahead.com
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I always used a pack and play, it worked great.
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• They have outside play yards for babies (like baby gates arranged in a circle), reminds me of a dog kennel lol. But, hey people do put their kids on a leash sometimes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 6, 2009