We are getting 2 puppies...

I have 10 month old baby and we are getting 2 puppies. You think it's gonna be to hard to take care of them ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pets

• Have you had a puppy before? Puppies are a lot of work if you want to properly train them, especially where housebreaking and the destroying stuff stage is concerned. And then to have two puppies and a 10 month old. IMO, it's not a wise move. If you are really set on getting a dog right now I would recommend contacting a rescue group and getting an older dog - maybe a 2 or 3 year old - that has been fostered by someone and is already housebroken, crate trained, and passed the puppy stage. Otherwise I would wait a few more years, maybe until your baby is closer to 4 or 5.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Oh yea, I think its going to be alot of trouble. Most people see the puppy stage as something wonderful and all cuddley but theres more responsibility than laying down a bowl of food and water and then having fun.

Puppies love to chew and find babies and their toes AND their toys a wonderful thing to naw on. So be sure and keep your little guy along with his fingers and toes away from the pups. They will smell the food on his hands and want to lick and chew.

Remember that in just a few months the pups will be full grown and not so cute. If you allow bad behaviors like eliminating in the house, chewing the furniture and the baby's toys, digging in your plants you'll have 2 BIG dogs that will be doing much more destruction.

I love my dogs, but no dog is worth more than what I've worked hard to provide for my family. So I was sure to housebreak, and to teach good manners to indoor pets. :) Its work and effort.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Um ... yea!! Even without the 10 month old baby, 1 puppy is hard enough to take care of. It's doable but it's going to be a lot of work. Make sure your SO and yourself are on the same page with house breaking, crate training, etc.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I think it would be a lot of work but not impossible. If your not a SAHM than I would advise against it. Like the pp's said, puppies are a lot of work. How's your baby's temperment? Is he/she really grabby and curious or pretty laid back? Babies love pulling on tails and ears. It also depends on if you've had puppies before and are aware of of what it's like to go through all the stages that a puppy goes through. If you've been through it before and think you can handle it times two plus a 10 month old than go for it. Just remember that dogs are a life long commitment and it's not fair to the dog/dogs to bring them into your home because you really wanted them to then just get rid of them because your overwhelmed. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• WOW, Your hands are going to be full!!Puppies are a lot of work. I just got a new puppy(she is now 4 months old) and there are days I wondered what was I thinking!
    Good luck
    hez3

Answer by hez3 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• You can do it, but personally would not recommend getting even 1 puppy until your little one is a little older. I did not realize how much work goes into a new puppy until we adopted a 3 month old puppy and had a 4 month old baby. Yikes!! Right now we have 2 puppies we as a family are taking care of and it still a lot of work with the chewing, housebreaking & obidence training.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 5:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Lots of work, but it can be done. I think I would stick with just getting one for now , see how that goes, and then decide if you want a second one. Remember not to leave the baby alone with the puppy/dog. Sometimes, kids playfully pull their tails, etc. and the dog might bite.
    Accidents will happen even with a well housebroken dog, so watch out for that.
    Good luck.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• lol... Oh yeah!! Taking care of puppies can be way harder than caring for a baby. Good luck!
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:29 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• what kind of puppies are you getting?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2009