How do I encourage my 10 yr old to lose weight without diminishing her self image?

She eats healthy foods and enjoys a variety of foods, but I guess eats too much for her metabolism because she is too heavy for her age and height. (95% weight). She also has very little muscle tone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Do it with her. Have her go on walks with you or go outside with her and ride bikes. Make it fun.
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• You need to get her moving. Don't have it be about her weight; have it be about her energy. Take a walk together after dinner; do yoga, either in a class or with a DVD from the library; dance, etc.
    Make sure that water is the only beverage that the family drinks; if you have not already done so, replace all simple/white grains with whole grains; if you have not already done so, cut way back on (or eliminate) meat and dairy; replace them with beans, lentils, seitan, tofu, etc. Lots of fruits and vegetables - 7-8 servings a day in at least 3 different colors.
    I have lots of healthy, family and budget friendly recipes, contact me if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I'd make it a family choice not centered around her weight at all. I would get all junk foods out of the house. Have fun cooking healthy meals with her (and other sibling if she has them) and then get out and PLAY! - swim, walk, run, ride bike, roller blade, go for a hike or nature walk, dance. Limit all TV, Games and computer time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Yep - do it with her. Phrase it as YOU want to get in shape and you want her to get in the habit now so she builds a lifetime of healthy habits.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Don't make it about her weight, just about having fun. Is there a sport or dance class she may enjoy? Martial arts? Softball? Something fun to get her some more excercise.
    Anonymous

• Get out there with her! Make a day for tennis, walking or even bike riding. Dont make it sound like excersie. Get her involved in a group sport. Dance with her on friday nights!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Portion control, your whole family cut back on how much they eat and make it fun by having her measure out things for dinner or something. Getting out and moving around only goes so far if your still eating a large amount of food.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• allow only healthy food and prepare everyone's plate, no refined sugar and get her into basketball.
    my middle daughter was chubby at 10, so i taught her portion control by simply telling her what is on her plate is fine and she can have more veggies if she is still hungry, or a piece of fruit.
    got her into basketball and she grew not just in height but in self esteem. She graduated with being team captain of varsity and top rebounder of all time!! now she works out 2 hours aday because she knows about the "freshman 15" and doesn't want to gain those 15 pounds that kids gain in their first yr of collage...so start good habits now and good habits will stay for years too come.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• get her a subscrription to Fitness magazine, also the book the Hibernation Diet and raw honey
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Is anyone else in your family overweight? I simply ask because usually eating habits tend to be familiar, and being that you did mention she generally eats healthy foods it might be an indicator. If she is the only overweight one in the family I would suggest having her checked out by an endocrinologist, or even start with your family Paediatrician and go from there as many specialists like that require a referral. If she's not, you might need to redefine what your definition of "healthy foods" are, for example, Bran Crackers are not a healthy snack, even though they are made with a 'whole grain' flour. A fruit on the other hand, would be, even though they are high in calories. Make it a family effort (so as to not single her out) to "Get Healthy!" and work together. . .is the best advice I can give.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 10:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2009