How do I get our puppy to eat?

We just got a 7month old beagle mix puppy. When we picked him up, the original owner said that he wouldn't eat the puppy chow anymore and was eating Beniful for Adult dogs. We can't afford to buy a $30 bag of food every week. We always buy Old Roy for our dogs. We've tried giving him canned food and wetting the dry food. I personaly think the dog is a little over weight anyway but I don't want him to starve. Help!

Lizzy317

Asked by Lizzy317 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pets

• No dog will starve if food is offered. I think that he will eat eventually. Keep serving him what you want him to eat and what fits his age and size. I wouldn't wet his food nor feed him canned, b/c that makes his bowels messy. You want them to be clean and dry when passed.

I wouldn't succumb to table scraps either. This sets him up for flavors that you might not want to continue in his diet. Keep serving him what you can provide. I think he'll eat soon. :) He prob. misses his mommy. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:19 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• If you were used to having a balanced diet every day, and you were suddenly in a new home with new people and they only gave you shredded wheat, sometimes dry or sometimes with milk, but nothing else, what would you do? This is the equivilent of what you have done to this dog. Ol Roy is cornmeal flavored with bone meal and a little tallow (beef fat). I can understand not being able to afford Beneful because I can't either, but for God's sake, try Dog Chow or something! Oh and putting water on his food won't hurt him OR make his stool messy. Table scraps are fine, just be sure to put them in the bowl after the meal is cleared away, so he doesn't learn to beg when people are eating.
    Anonymous

• Did you buy some Beniful and mix it in with the other dog food? That's the best way to transition a dog. Is he sick at all? When we got our dog from the shelter, she wouldn't eat anything. She ended up having kennel cough and her throat hurt, so she wouldn't eat. I fed her browned ground beef and plain egg noodles, until she got better. Then we still had to wet her food down for awhile. Now she eats normally. We actually feed her expensive dog food, it's Eucanuba (sp) and it's like $40 a bag, but it has so few fillers that you only need to give a little and it feeds my golden retriever for about a month. Good luck with the new pup!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• he will eventually eat when he is hungery...maybe he is homesick....its ok to give wet food to a puppy if thats the way he eats my dog use to get canned food befor i lost my job. try table scrapes and mixing dog food inwith it...that might catch his interest.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 3:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Yeah, he probably does miss his mom and litttermates. But, you can't let one too young go too long without food. Their blood glucose could drop dangerously low. Youi may want to mix a small bit of Karo syrup or sugar in his water for a few days to make sure blood sugar levels stay up. Also, maybe the puppy just doesn't like the taste of the new food. Have you tried Purina Puppy Chow? It's a good one that my puppy loves. If he still won't eat, my vet recommends boiling some chicken until it falls off the bone and offering him that --not the bones though. That may be what he needs to get going. If he still won't eat, take him to the vet. He could have intestinal worms, or parasites, or something that's depleting his appetite. Good Luck....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Leave the food out for him and he will eat it. I worked in a pet store for a long time and I always heard people saying "my dog wont eat this". If you left it out long enough he will. Especially at 7 months old. At this age you should be leaving food out 24/7 for him so just give it a go and he will be fine.
    Beneful is just as unhealthy of a dog food as alpo or puppy chow so it really doesnt matter.
    If you really care about the dog food you are feeding him, make sure the first three ingredients or at least the first, are a whole meat, not a meat biproduct. Dogs need as little grain as possible. I feed my dogs "wellness", but it is expensive.
    Either way, a dog doesnt care about what ingredients are in the food, if they are hungry they will eat.
    You could also try mixing a can of wet food with his kibble if you are in a rush to see him eat. Dogs will not turn down wet food lol
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:27 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• MY collie is so picky about food that you have to have the kibble mixed with: Hot water, 1 raw egg and a slice of cheese in little pieces all mixed together. If you don't do this, she takes her nose and shovels it all out. We buy cheaper dog food being on a budget, but we try and make it a bit more tastier for her by doing this. And she usually gobbles it all up!
    mikko2285

Answer by mikko2285 at 4:40 PM on Jun. 8, 2009

• I would suggest getting them on a much higher quality food.  Puppy Chow, Beneful, and Ol Roy are sooooo bad for dogs!

Puppy Chow

Beneful Dog Food

Beneful Puppy

Ol Roy - Well, I guess it is so BAD they won't even rate it!

Here is how you can grade any dog food, plus they have already graded some brands for you.

CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:53 AM on Jul. 29, 2009