Why did my 12 month old start waking up in the wee hours of the morning?

I have a 12 month old daughter who just recently started crawling on her hands and knees (before that she just did the "army crawl" on her tummy). She has always been a good sleeper at night, and always sleeps 12 hours solid. She's not much for napping though, and I'm lucky if I get 2 30 min cat naps out of her a day. Recently she has been waking up at like 4 or 5 am crying, sitting upright and needs to be fed and put back to sleep. Sometimes (like this morning) she refuses to be put back in her crib and I have to bring her to bed with me. I really hate this and worry she is getting sleep deprived. Anyone else experience this?

Sassinaglass

Asked by Sassinaglass at 10:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh my, my dd did this. She switched it up and drove me crazy. Not only would she wake up but wouldn't go back to sleep. So I would sit in the chair and doze while she played. I did get very sleep deprived, worse then when she was a newborn. What I did is let her cry it out (I know sooo many ppl think its wrong) but I have 2 other kids to take care of too and needed to sleep. Within two night she would fall asleep on her own and did not wake at all the two nights. Now Im caught up on my sleep and i'm a more energetic mommy lol On a side not the first night I did it her dad was gone, second he was home and was swearing up and down that I was traumatizing our daughter. He was freaking, I told him then you get up with her and see how you feel about it. He was totally amazed when she would just fall asleep quietly the 3rd night.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• there is nothing wrong with cio i use that all the time if i didnt my youngest would NOT go to bed till like midnight yes for all those agaist it i do check on her every 10 minutes if needed normally she has gotten pretty much into a routine that she very rarly cries when i put her in bed she might sit there and play for a few minutes then fall asleep or babble but very rarely now cries i would say go back to letting her cio
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I have heard that when babies reach developmental milestones it affects their sleep patterns. So her learning how to crawl may have to do with it. My daughter never had any issues related to the milestones but I have heard that it happens. Also it could be teething. IF she dosent already have her first molars its probably them and they are a pain to deal with. My daughter did fine with her first four teeth (two front top and two front bottom) but then she was getting all four of her first molars at the same time! That really bothered her and they took soooo long to finish coming in. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Ivy does the exact same thing. She wakes up at about 4ish and I feed her and she goes right back to bed (sometimes in her crib, sometimes with us) for another 3-4 hours. I really have no advice....I just do whatever it takes to get her back to sleep. Sorry I couldnt be of any help!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 9, 2009