How do these verses support the idea that you must accept Jesus as your savior to go to Heaven?

Don't misunderstand. I know that Jesus IS the savior and He is the only way we go to Heaven. But, consider these verses. John 6:28-29 say:
"Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?"
"Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent."
This clearly says belief is a work, and it is the work of God. These people wanted to know how they could do the work God gave them. Jesus told them that their belief was the work of God within them. So, if belief is God's work within us, how can we claim it as our faith? This meshes with Ephesians 2:8 where it says it is faith which saves us, but not that of our own.
So, how can this be true and at the same time, us be accountable to "believe and accept" as our own work and mechanism of salvation?

callmeann

Asked by callmeann at 10:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yea i didn't get the same meaning out of that you did. Where did you get this interpretation? Are you Christian? Do you follow the Bible?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Yes, as I said, Jesus is the savior and it is only through him that anyone goes to Heaven.
    What else can it mean? Not to deny that you couldn't get something else; I'm asking.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Also, I do follow the Bible. I read all verses with the goal of getting past any PERCEIVED contradictions.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:59 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• So you are wondering,if we have to work for our salvation?I often wonder that myself because there are many other scriptures in the Bible that talk us having to prove our love for God.But all the churches I go to say that we are saved by grace not by works.I believe we are saved by grace as long as we keep the commandments and really try to be a good Christian.But that's not all.We must deny ourselves take up our cross and follow Jesus.We must everyday pray to God and ask him to help us be good Christians,crucifying your flesh,your sin nature and live in the holy spirit.The works of the holy spirit is joy,love,peace,patience,kindness,and self control.If a Christian isn't living in the holy spirit and manifesting these characters,they are likely not a Christian.Living in the spirit for a Christian is the way they get into heaven.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 11:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Hello sister!, Choosing to allow him to come in and work in your life is a faith choice. By faith we walk and trust Him. Only then He can come in. He does not force anyone to walk with Him or allow Him in their lives. Revelation say "I stand at the door and knock if anyone hears my voice and opens the door I will come in and dine with him and he with me." We allow him to work in us. (Faith is believing in something you can not see).

Blessings!
    In Christ,
    JCrestoredme
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 11:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I don't wonder if we have to work for our salvation. The scriptures say it's a gift and that the faith that saved us is Christ's faith, not ours. I want someone to break down for me how these verses with their wording can mean anything other than the idea that our belief is given to us by God, not something we go along with or decide for ourselves.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 12:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;" Ephesians 2:8

Yes we are saved by faith alone. But TRUE faith will produce a life change. You will be transformed by the power of God, and you will be a new person. There was a time in my life when I thought I was a Christian, but I know now that I wasn't. The Bible says that even the demons believe. So your belief has to become faith. Now, I have a relationship with God.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• You know in John 15 Jesus say, "I am the vine and you are the branches. Abide in me and I in you and you will bear much fruit. For without Me you can do nothing."

Our good works are fruits that grow on their own because we are abiding in Jesus, like branches on a vine. You never see a plant work, the fruit just grows. So our works are not really works they are fruits. But we need to abide in Him, reading the word, praying, worshiping, sharing and then the fruit will grow. If we are not connecting with Him we wither.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I agree with your second response whole-heartedly. Faith expressed in our lives here will produce fruit pleasing to God. That has nothing to do with Heaven. As for your first answer, I am confused. I guess I can imagine a person thinking they were Christian (following Christ) but not doing so in actual deed. But the part about belief becoming faith still doesn't address the relationship between Jesus' faith, which saved us and our faith not even being mentioned in this verse.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 2:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• whoever has the son has the father,
    whoever has the father has the son,
    you are to put your faith to practice not just hear or read the words.
    Just by believing in God will not save you alone.
    Anonymous