Hummingbirds

Mothers Day I received a new hummingbird feeder. Its a beautiful "antique" looking one that I hung near a window in the dining room where there isn't alot of activity or movement near that area. The gift also had a nice red colored nector that I put in.

Any ideas as to why I might not be seeing any hummingbirds at all? Not one. I've had h. feeders before at our previous house and had many birds. But not this time.

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 11:13 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If you have it hung in a tree or anywhere near tree branches or a lot of shade & covering -- they won't go there. They won't feed any place where they think a cat or other predator could be hiding.

Try hanging the feeder on one of those iron posts you put in the ground ---- kind of out in the middle of the yard.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I have it on a window b/c it came with a iron post and the suction cups that press onto glass. It seems to be in part shade/sun and not near anywhere where another animal could access it. humm....And like I said, its on a window where we don't go near it from inside, like theres not any movement indoors that would scare them away. I'm completely puzzled.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Do you have close neighbors? If someone else is feeding them they may not come. I have no luck with mine either. Houses on both sides of me and across from me have been feeding them for years.

And as far as the shade thing......I beg to differ. My MIL's is hung in a pine tree in the shade right next to the house and has been there for years. The hummers will actually sit on her feeder. Ive never seen that before its awesome!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Could it be too early for humming birds just yet? I used to grow 4:00's to draw humming birds. They were a good draw for those little birds.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 1:25 AM on Jun. 7, 2009