Is there double talk when "goin' green"?

It is such a crack up to me when I see so much talk about "going green". I see too much irony in what is being said, and WHAT the person or group actually does. It doesn't add up to me.

We recycle (we get points for coupons in our city), and I'm not a tree hugger. So I was amused to see our coupon come in the mail along with the information about what plastic water bottles do to our environment, YET, right there on the same page was how Evian water is sooo good for our environment (of course, in a plastic bottle!) LOL

I love IKEA, but find it ironic that they say how environmentally correct they are about their products, but, hang, much of their stuff is junk that won't last long and will be found in the landfill inside of 5 years. You can't repurpose their furniture b/c its so cheaply made.

What a crackup. What examples have you found that make you wonder what the real deal is? LOL

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 11:44 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think its foolishness when the City Water posted in our water bill a little statement each month that says we need to "Go green" and start recycling ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in our house. On the same newsletter they also told us that we were in a "drought" and we would get fined $500 for all the excessive extra water we spent. But, the details of our recycling company that is attached to our garbage WILL NOT accept ANY recyclable items that are dirty and that are not completely clean!!! That just doesn't make sense to me. I'm being pressured to recycle, but then I'm NOT supposed to use my water b/c, we're in a drought.... That's not being green, that's just wasting more money that I have to pay for and in the end will get fined for my water bill.
    I think its just a "fad" that will go away soon. No one is totally green in our nation. IF they are,they are lying b/c, I bet I can find 95% of their lifestyle, not GREEN
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 7:19 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• LOL i know exactly what youre saying.. I do what I can to be "green".. but im far from an extremist THATS for sure! Lol.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Yea, I have wondered about that type of stuff.

Like they send you mailouts about recycling and I think, hmmmm, isnt this paper?

Or, the fact that recycling products uses more energy and produces pollution and cost just as much or more money than creating it from scratch.....kinda makes you wonder if its worthwhile.

We dont have a place to recycle here, really I have checked several times, no recycling center. My son 5, gets so frustrated when I tell him this. All the kids cartoons talk about recycling now its built into their brains growing up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• "Like they send you mailouts about recycling and I think, hmmmm, isnt this paper?"

More than likely, recycled paper.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• probably, but they are still using paper....so either way....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I have noticed on home improvement shows how they use recycled products and they cost so much more than non-recycled stuff. I've checked on flooring myself and found this to be true. I also thinks its takes just as much energy if not more to produce these products.
    One thing I find ironic is how network TV will make a big hoopla about going green and use an enormous amount of energy to do it (NBC's green week?)
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 12:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• The process of mfg a nickel battery for a hybrid is more toxic than the effects of regular combustion engines.

The black areas are charred bedrock, completely uninhabitable.  The smoke coming from the smelter is sulfer, which aside from the toxic fumes itself, poisons plants and wildlife and creates acid rain. That's just the mining of the nickel - it's not even going into the environmental impact of shipping the nickel from Canada to China and then the battery to the US, or the mfg process. But at least those hybrid cars use a few less gallons of fossil fuels, right?

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• *sulfur, not retyping all that
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I totally agree with the previous posters....But, as Kermit The Frog would say..."It Ain't Easy Being Green!!" LOL :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• "probably, but they are still using paper....so either way.... "

um not sure what else theyd use? im sure they would expect you to put their ad in your recycling bin when your done to get recycled again. :P
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2009