Why are they afraid to poop in the potty?!

My ds just turned 3 and is doing wonderful with peeing on the potty. But he will not poop! He will sit there and cry and scream forever. He is just holding it. My oldest son did the same thing and ended up being so backed up he had to get suppositories and stool softener. I don't want it to come to that with this one. That was horrible! Any one had this problem and what worked?

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 11:55 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• YES...my son who is almost 4 finally started pooping in the potty. I think once he went one time he figured out it would be ok. So he has been doing really good! Also try a poo poo chart. Explain that if he goes 5 times he gets stickers for going on his chart and by the end of the 5 or whatever you will take him to the store and get him something special...
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 11:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I also did the sticker chart route with my son and pooping because I had the same problems. I was told by his pediatrician boys have some weird psychological connection with their poop, they feel its a part of them and don't want to let it go. I laughed when he told me this but he suggested along with the chart to make a big deal out of saying "bye" when flushing the toilet and make it seem almost like a game to flush it all away. So I went home that day and when my son went we waved bye bye to the poop and flushed it and that with the sticker chart had him going in the potty with not accidents in less then 3 weeks. Can't hurt to try it with yours, Good Luck!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2009