Options other than Proactiv....

I have been using Proactiv for a little over a month now and am really not very satisfied with the results. Instead of breaking out periodically like I did before I am breaking out in massive, painful and embarrassing red welts. Sometimes it even hurts to lay my head on a pillow. I am very much considering taking the product back today, but I would like some other alternatives that are A) more cost effective and B) not so harsh on the skin. Does anyone have any ideas? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

MansfieldMomma

Asked by MansfieldMomma at 11:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I've used pro-active before too. It usually gets worse then better. You will need a month to see if you really like it. I have adult acne. I'm 34. I've been washing my face with a grit-type face soap, then using tea tree oil. I've never looked better! It's in the pharmacy section of the store. It's wonderful. Dont get it near your eyes b/c it burns like crazy from the fumes. It does have a VERY strong odor, like paint thinner. But it's an anticeptic and an oil. So it heals without drying out. Just clean your face every night, and apply the tea tree oil with a cotton circle at bedtime. It took just 2 weeks and i dont have any pimples!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Oh--It's about $7-8 a bottle and the bottle is small (about 3-4 inches tall, glass) but you dont use that much of it. Should last over 2 months.
    forevermom75

• aveda has an acne line called outer peace. it is not harsh at all. but it is not cheap. i went through alot of products that made my face hurt and this one did not.

also my try googling natural recipies with tea tree oil. my sister swears by it. i use tea tree oil on my breakouts.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• forevermom- we must have been typing at the same time! lol
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• The Neutrogina (sp?) Skin ID works really well. Just go to skinid.com and it'll have you answer questions specific to your skin, stress levels, etc. I like it. I also tried Proactiv and I like this better.
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• EEK! You are probably allergic to it! Get rid of it!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 12:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• i am taking it back today actually. So bummed because I was hoping it would work better for me than it did. Oh well, such is life I suppose. I thought someone answered a question about acne and mentioned something about using honey to cleanse the face....has anyone heard of that? Does it work?
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 1:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Avon makes a three step program like Proactiv but its works very well. I've personally had great results with it and it didn't dry out my skin or cause it to break out worse. Its a fraction of the price too! Its called Clearskin Professionals and you can try the trial kit for 9.99 You can try it at www.youravon.com/dhullum use code fsany for free direct delivery shipping :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 11:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Thank you so much!!!!! :)
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 11:56 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Before using any skincare product, you should check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database, maintained by the Environmental Working Group www.ewg.org.
    Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer. Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 AM on Jun. 7, 2009