Ever heard of COBRA in Bremen, OH?

Does anybody on here have a family member (or ever had a family member) placed in COBRA (Central Ohio Boys Residential Academy)? It is a boot camp for troubled youth in Bremen, OH. I have concerns for my cousin who is in there. Concerns for her safety. If you have any notes to compare with mine, please let me know! Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• From what I know it isn't a bad program. I had almost forgotten it was there until you mentioned it. What is going on up there.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• There have been reports (on the news and in print) of sexual abuse and physical abuse occurring there. Several guards have been arrested (a few yrs. ago) for raping the girls. My cousin recently wrote me a letter, stating that she needed to tell me something very important. She implied that she was afraid to write it in the letter and that I needed to visit her ASAP. Well, since it's 3 hrs. away, it's not so easy to get up there. That letter was a few wks. ago. The last letter I rec'vd from her was not in her handwriting. It was a very vague letter and the "character" in the letter sounded nothing like her. Her father is receiving letters from her in the same strange writing, but they are signed by her. But it's NOT her. These letters make so sense. I would love to do a surprise visit, but those are prohibited. Appt. only.
    Anonymous

• When I called and questioned the administrator there, my concerns were brushed off. They also informed me that she will now be (for supposedly unrelated offenses) in COBRA for at least another month and half....maybe longer. Which is strange, because they told me that since I started writing and visiting her, her disposition and attitude have completely been positive.
    Anonymous

• She was supposed to get out next weekend. She's been in there since mid-Dec. of last year.
    Anonymous

• Holy moly. I had no clue they were keeping people that long now. My mom is friends with an employee up there. I had heard about the abuse but was told (by that employee) that all those involved had been fired. I know 3 hours is a heck of a haul (I am about an hour from there), but I think I would be trying to find a way up there. Is there any possible way you can get in to check on her? I have to go to the grocery store, but will be back in an hour or so to check in. Feel free to send me a message.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Yeah....I read online that they had fired all the the men that were doing this, but still...you know? You never know. I just got a letter from her about a half-hour ago. In her handwriting, which is good : ). Maybe I was over-reacting. I don't know. I would go up, but because she is in state's care, the only people authorized to visit her are my husband and I. Well, he is working super-overtime to try to get money together to afford the bigger place we need and to put a whole bedroom (and life!) together for her. He takes our only car, so I'm not able to get up there. I've gone up every month, since I found out she was in there, except last month. They keep kids up to a year, they said. I don't know how long she'll stay up there, though. The workers that I've met up there all seem really nice and helpful, but when weeks go by and you don't hear from the kid, you get worried, you know?
    Anonymous

• But it'll be okay, I'm sure. I'll get up there hopefully next weekend. She sounded good in her letter, so maybe my "momma bear attitude" got the best of me. LOL She might just be being a typical teen, not taking into consideration how we would react by receiving letters from her that her friends write for her and then waiting a few more weeks before writing to us again. You know? Thanks for your help!!! : ) Have a wonderful weekend!
    Anonymous