mothers of 3 year olds?

My daughter is very smart, maybe to smart I'm not sure where she got it because its most deff not from me LOL.
She can speak fluently whole conversations
she knows all her numbers/alaphbet in spanish, english, and french number 1-100
(she can count to 1000 in english)
knows basic math skills (adding, subtraction) up to her 20's or so.
can read clocks, and remember dates and times very easly
she knows all her shapes, colors, and even just today corrected me on a shape-
is minuplative.... not my favoirte
was potty trained at 13 months (in panties has only had maybe 5 accidents since than)
and when people ask me why shes so small for her age I say well shes only three!? and they are like, wow, I figured she was 5 or 6.
is she above avrage?
should I skip kindergarden and go to 1st grade?
Im afraid she'll get bored in kindergarden learning all the same things, but Im afrade being 4 in 1st grade will be emotionally bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• How does she interact with other children? I would say that the social aspect needs to be there too before she skips a grade. Be sure that she is interacting with other children which is what I think is the MOST important thing about going to kindergarden.
    Anonymous

• they might evaluate her first and they will decide what the best thing would be for her.and tell u and ask u what u think...
    Anonymous

• The schools won't let her start 1st grade before she is 6. Nearly every school has an age cut off - usually a child must be 6 before the middle of September to start first grade. That's just an example though - every state has a different cut off date.

You may need to investigate the private schools in your area and see if any will work with her. Be aware that most principals take the "my kid is really advanced" claims of parents with a grain of salt. So if your daughter does need a faster pace, you may have to hunt a long time to find it. That or make the decision to homeschool.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Teacher and mother here: DO NOT SKIP KINDERGARTEN!!!!

I have taught K and preschool both. There are so many more things to learn in K than just basic education. There are a whole host of emotional and social issues to master before moving on.

K is not for the faint of heart ;) They have very high expectations going in. Its no longer play and nap time as many parents think. Your dd sounds like she will do fine academically, but she needs K to be able to adjust to the atmosphere, the teachers, the peers, the expectations, the routine and also being away from mom.

Please dont skip K, even for the advanced their are new things to learn, things to accomplish and ways to grow the whole year!

Talk with the school when you place her, ask for a teacher who deals well with advanced students, they will be able to keep her busy and learning the whole year!

I promise! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• she LOVES other children of all ages, I more worried about the children in 1st grade, looking down on her, or picking on her and she not knowing how to deal with it, she is so sweet to people, maybe to sweet- we were at Disney world a few weeks ago and she was running around with kids of all ages, and one pushed her down and said "your a baby, this is for grown up kids" he was about 6, she spoke out her feelings saying "I am younger than you, but I like this game." and told him "you didnt need to hurt my feelings" and walked away very sad- it broke my heart because even though she could defend herself her little heart still hurt... thats what Im scared of.
    Anonymous

• You hit the nail on the head mom, even if she did ok in 1st grade, there are many more years ahead of her to go, she may encounter a problem you havent thought about.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• we live in Arkansas, which has a very low edu system (no offence) so Im scared that teachers will spend more time with the students that NEED alot of attention and lessons.
    in my day Kindergaden was to learn colors, shapes, numbers, how to cut paper and naps. This I fear hasnt changed in AK yet- I see kids her age still in diapers so Im not sure what is "normal" for our area and what is "above"
    most would agree depending on the area you live is how well a child learns and grows.
    A child in a small "hick" town might be very smart to there school, and not even near avrage in another state or town.
    Anonymous

• I cant tell you about teh Arkansas school system, I however, live in Alabama, not known for our school systems either...lol ;) But I can tell you that teachers in general, are taught the same way. Usually its the student population that determines the effectiveness of the school itself. As in, do the parents cooperate, do they help the student with lessons, do they value education etc. This varies from place to place and school to school.

Schools get all the blame for low education, but usually its the home and family life that plays the biggest part in the education. For instance, if the child knows that school is not a big deal to their family, then it will not be for the student either.

Is there a private K you could look into in your area?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Id have her evaluated before just attempting to skip a grade.
    See what the state and school districts say. She sounds very bright to me but its more than just memorized type things, its social interaction and reactions,etc.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2009