Why do you swaddle a baby?

I live in Texas and I am going to have my son in Sept. and I was curious why do you swaddle a baby and should I still do it even when it is going to be hot out.

JenniferQ24

Asked by JenniferQ24 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think babies like to be swaddled because in the womb they were warm and carmped up its a comfort thing. thats what they know. my son loved being swaddled when he went to bed, but if its hot then i wouldnt u dont want the kid to over heat. but if your in a/c and its cool then i would see how the kids likes it. some do some dont. its all trial and error.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I agree with tabbys4 all the way
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It has to do with feeling the comfort of the womb outside the womb. Its also to keep them warm until they adjust to the outside temperature.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 2:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• because they are so warm and cozy in your tummy it re-ennacts that feeling fofr them! I had my DD in June and it was so darn hot i would leave her nakey when i swaddled her but by a week or 2 after we were home she freaked out if i swaddled her so i quit and just put a really light blanky over her legs (i basically swaddled just her legs) and she did fine
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 2:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Most newborns like to be all snug and wrapped up... it reminds them of the womb. They have somenew blankets at target that are very thin... I would get those
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It makes new borns feel more comfortable. They are not used to having a bunch of extra space to move around in, they are used to being snug in mommy's tummy. It helps calm them and helps them to sleep... not all of them like it, but most as far as I have heard. We swaddled our daughter until she was 6 months old. She would be unwrapped by morning but its how she went to sleep....
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 4:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• you won't believe it but it makes a big difference. we live in florida and it is hot all the time. I stoped swaddeling because I was scared my daughter would overheat at night.my 4 weeks old daughter started to be fussy all the time. A friend gave me 3 new swaddle blankets that you can use in the summer...check it out www.solanababywear.com she fell asleep 5 min after i had her in that blanket...I couldn't believe it.
    danijela1985

Answer by danijela1985 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2009