Why can't we talk religion without it becoming a debate?

EVERY single belief, along with atheist and agnostic, starts debating when something is said that they are in disagreement. Even when a question is directed towards a particular group those who are not members of that religion will start a debate. It is not just Christians, it is ALL the religions. Why can't moms just have respect and let the question be answered without having to step in and disprove the answer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• the intolerant pagan who couldn't accept an real answer closed her question so now I will close this one. tootles
    Anonymous

• Cause people have there own opinions and you and no one else can control that don't ask a question if you don't want everyone's opinion or answer.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 12:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Because this is a forum where opinions are posted. That is, by default, a forum of debates. I want to, if I may, further your question. Why can't we debate without the personal attacks? Debates, by definition, are opposing points of view. Debate all day long. Leave the personal attacks and name calling for the play ground or 8th grade gym class. Act like grown, secure, smart, passionate women and stop acting like bullies.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Because everyone has different opinions/beliefs on subjects, whether they are of the same religion as the others or not. What's the problem with it? I love debate.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• opinions are fine, it is the arguing that gets old
    Anonymous

• That's why I joined a group on here that doesn't allow hateful religious bashing(from all sides, mine included(pagan)). My head hurts some days just reading some of the replies and even some of the questions, because it seems we are going in circles and nobody CHOOSES to just come to agreement that we are all different paths of spirituality on this planet.

If God/Goddess/FlyingSpaghettiMonster/The Great and Powerful Oz(whomever your deity/or lack thereof) is) wanted us all to be the same mold he/she/it would have made us all the same. But we have black, white, red, yellow skin colors, different sexual orientations, different ethnic backgrounds, and different tastes in food and music.

If those who post hateful or condemning replies would understand that we were not meant to be "the same" maybe, just maybe they can stop acting like children and more like mature adults. All paths lead to the same place, love and peace.

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• You said debate, not arguing. Some people don't know the difference. Lots of people leave the religious debate groups on CM because they think they're being argued with....but it's actually debate. Arguing is when insults are just being thrown back and fourth with no evidence to back up the claim. Debate is when evidence is brought up to back up a claim.

Arguments break out on here because of people who aren't knowledgeable enough about their belief to convince others without insults.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• nobody CHOOSES to just come to agreement that we are all different paths of spirituality on this planet.

That will never happen as long as there are those who believe you do not have a choice to begin with - that it's simply a matter of time until you "get over it" and join their team.

In the meanwhile, if someone wants a specific answer, they should stick to groups. Not to be confused with wanting an complete answer, which sometimes may never happen no matter how long the question is opened. (and by complete, that would be one that does not create more questions than it answers, if not outright contradicting other "agreeing" answers)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Do you mean argumentative answers or debate? I think there is a difference. It's okay for people to disagree on something as long as they can do it respectful. I wouldn't ask a question if I weren't expecting some people to disagree with me, I think a little debate is healthy even, because it opens us to perspectives we would not otherwise know about. Now if someone is just going to say something mean or hurtful that is not okay.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 1:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• The bible should be the answer to our questions. It holds the truths of life. And as long as scriptures are not twisted and the proper research is done. You will find the truth.
    Anonymous