Can a bridge keep someone from commiting suicide?

Seattle is spending $8 million on a fence for one of the bridges to keep people from jumping off. What do you think?

Personally, I think it's a waste on money, if someone wants to commit suicide, they will find a way to do it.

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 12:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I really wanted that to say "Can a fence keep someone from committing suicide?"

Sorry, my three year old was helping me...
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Well since that bridge is "famous" for its suicides, I guess itll stop them from using THAT bridge to jump off of.. but youre right, theyll find another way if they truly want to end their life.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 12:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Yes they will. But, maybe they won't jump off that bridge.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Seems pretty pointless and unnecessary to me
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• All the bridges in the world won't stop someone from taking their own life if they are not in the right frame of mind. This is a waste of money. How about spend the money on offering free support programs at local libraries with paid, trained counselors. Churches used to do this without Government money, but then the Progressives came along and said a church shouldn't be used because they will try and convert. So now we need government money/programs. Who da thunk they government program was to build a fence. huh..
    ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• just more tax money to save more stupid people...
    Anonymous

• Well what we could do is take the lib blame stance. Its the fault of the people for building the bridge so the families could sue them for it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• the fence is silly and yes, a waste of money. all of the bridges around me in NY have a phone and a helpline number on them. if someone wants help, they'll use it, otherwise they're just gonna jump..
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 4:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• There a literally thousands of ways to die ~ one little 8million $ fence is not going to prevent a suicide. Why in the He** is the stinkin fence so expensive? Made from titanium, with gold leaf scrolls with diamonds to make it "pop"?
    nookers

Answer by nookers at 4:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• hey tor, at least some people have enough sense to jump off a real bridge, one thats high enough to actually qualify for needing a fence...unlike some bridges that come to mind over here...ha
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2009