Can my 9 month old eat Gerber Graduates?

My 9MO DS is in daycare. When I got him on Friday, they asked me if I'd bring him Gerber Graduates meals b/c he eats up the baby food & just gets hungry again. I told them that he eats mashed table food for breakfast & dinner. The food that the woman makes in the kitchen isn't always something they can mash up for him or ready to eat b/c of food allergies. I would like to send him w/ my food that I puree for him, but I know they have limited refrigerator space, plus that means extra work for me. But I also don't want to waste money on those Gerber meals when it's just real food that they throw in cute boxes for marketing ploys. I know I won't have to spend much on them b/c he'll only be eating them for daycare, but I don't want to be backed into a corner & do something I don't want to do. I also don't want to compromise my son's nutrition. What should I do?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What about the stage 3 gerber baby food? Its nice and chunky, big jars and they can feed him a jar of that then a jar of veggies or fruit with it. My son eats those gerber graduates meals, but hes 18 months old.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 2:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• have you tried the jars that are "real food" gerber makes them they have diced apples and other fruits and veggies, they are actually not mashed or anything like that so they may be more filling. they make meats that way too. otherwise, if you don't want to get the graduates, you could just bring in his leftovers from the night before, just make enough for there to be leftovers so he can have those.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.
    You can send ripe banana that they can cut into little bite sized pieces that he can feed himself. Same thing with chunks of soft cooked sweet potato etc. You can also send some Cheerios (or similar low sugar whole grain cereal that is "baby friendly")
    Like the PP said, leftovers are a great idea!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I agree with the last answer. And watching them feed themselves is the best! I cut up peaches really small for my 11 m/o and it's sooo funny 'cause they're really slippery so she really has to fight to get them to her mouth. Every time one flies out between her fingers she laughs while she tries to pick it back up! :D
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 11:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• So I found out that I am not allowed to send food that is not pre-packaged. That's very unfair.

Anyway, I'm just going to continue sending the 3rd foods & formula like I've been doing. I am friends w/ the woman who makes the food & if there something like toast, oatmeal, or bananas that he can have, she'll make a little plate for him. It is the rule of the director that infants under age 1 cannot have a plate prepared by the nutritionist.

I also buy veggie cups. They're like fruit cups, but with carrots or green beans or peas. He can eat those on his own. Plus, he really doesn't like eating the graduates meals. I've tried a couple different ones, but he never seems to want to eat them. He'll eat baby food or table food, but not the graduates. Hmm?

Anyway, thanks!
    Anonymous