what's wrong with my cat?

I have a Siamese cat, I found her last September and judging on how old I think she was when I found her, I'd say she's coming close to a year old.

She was very frisky for the last couple of months, sticking her little butt in the air and crying out at night (annoying lol) but the other night my fiance and I woke up to a loud scratching sound and realized that somehow our cat was climbing up the window from the OUTSIDE. So we had to go out and grab her. I have no idea how long she was out there.

Now she is MEAN. She doesn't want anyone to touch her and only wants to sleep. She sleeps ALL DAY. and if you even touch her slightly she will tear into you.

What could be wrong with her?

javila

Asked by javila at 1:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pets

• Take her to the vet. There is probably nothing wrong with her, she's just being a cat. They are naturally night creatures, usually awake for the most part of the might and sleep during the day. She could just be one of those cats that are kinda antisocial. My husband's cat growing up was like that. Make sure she has enough toys and stuff, but honestly, if you are worried, take her to the vet.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• night*, not might
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• She's never been mean like this before, that's what is worrying me and she's always been very energetic. She just started being mean and lazy after she got out. She used to be sweet and cuddly and playful and since that night, seriously...you cannot get near her. I have two other cats, one is antisocial and the other isn't and even our antisocial one doesn't bite or carry on like she does.
    javila

Answer by javila at 1:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Was she fixed? If she was yowling and acting all crazy and then got outside, and now is inside and tired and mean then she might be prego....
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 1:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• ack. no she's not fixed.
    javila

Answer by javila at 2:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Take her to the vet for a check up, and get her spayed while you're at it. The last thing we need is MORE unwanted litters of cats being brought into the world. Please, if you're going to let her slip outside, get her fixed. She is yowling and sticking her butt up in the air because she's in heat. Spaying is not that expensive, and you and the cat will be much happier.

Also, cats who go outside, in my experience tend to be scrappier and not "love" their humans as much.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, if she's not fixed then she could be preggers. They go through some of the same things that humans do. They get cranky and tired. I believe within a few weeks of them getting pregnant that their nipples start turning pink and get a little larger. You have a couple of options. You can take her in to get fixed and if she is pg. they will euthenize the kittens (not my favorite option) or you can let her have the kittens and then try and adopt them out (this is what I did), or you can let her have the kittens and then take them to the humane society. Good luck.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Just a side note - not all cats that go outside are less affectionate. I have three indoor/outdoor cats. One that sleeps on my pillow, one sleeps next to me and the other one sleep with my dd. All three are very affectionate. One is so affectionate you have to kick him off your lap if you want to get up.

If you are going to let your cat outside please make sure she is spayed first.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my guess is she preggo and is going through the change. from what u describe she was probably in heat and a cat in heat will try their damndest to get out side. siamese tend to be more tempermental then other breeds of cats. if she is preggo and u dont want the kittens the vet will still spay her but u will end up paying more b/c then it a abortion. spaying is exspensive at least it is here where i live. we have to pay 275-300 depending if the cat need shots and flea medician the day of the surgery. if u deside to keep the kittens towards the end of the pregnancy she will become more loveable and more like herself.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 3:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Yep, my initial thought was either going into heat or pregnant
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2009