Is kindergarten free

So,my parents are trying to enroll my 5 yr old brother in kindergarten this year.My mom called the town and they said for a kid to go to school from 9:00 and 11 its free.But to have your kid go full day is more than 3,000 a year.I clearly remember my kindergarten was free when i went in the 90's. Have things changed? Does anyone here have to pay for kindergarten.Btw this is for him to go to a public one nothing private

babysyoungmom1

Asked by babysyoungmom1 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• kindergarten isn't mandatory so your child doesn't need a certain amount of hours to go on to 1st. is there any reason why you would want your child in full-day kindergarten? I think half a day is enough. I'm not sure the public schools here even offer full-day. You can look up guidelines for your state on all this but as far as I know public kindergarten is free.... so long as your child meets the requirements potty trained, writes their name... ect..
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• This is for my little brother.My mom works overnight and gets in at 8.Him going to school from 9 to 11 wont help her out much.And she is really sick and going through surgeries.He is in a daycare now at the y.
    babysyoungmom1

Answer by babysyoungmom1 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Here public schools have the half day kindergarten. At my sons school they offer a full day Kinder but you have to pay about 300 a month. This is a public charter school. My sister is enrolling her son into the full day because she is a teacher at the school and she would have to pay daycare for when he was not in school anyway.
    The local public schools are only half day kindergartens.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my son went all day in kindergarden and it was free
    ilovemyson2002

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It's not free here. The public schools are full-day only. I don't know how much it costs, we decided to homeschool our son instead of sending him to a full-day Kindergarten. Homeschooling only takes 3-4 hours a day. A full-day, 5 days a week seems a bit extreme for 5 year olds.
    JerbysMom

Answer by JerbysMom at 11:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I think it depends on the school and/or school district. When my oldest started kindergarten we were living in PA and our local school had only half day kindergarten (she was in the PM class and there were two AM classes). The next year they changed and all the kids went full day for kindergarten (on the bus at 8am and off at 3:30pm just like the older kids).

We are living back in Chicago now and the public schools only offer half day kindergarten but they didn't have room for my then 2nd grader. So instead my kids go to a Catholic school and we have to pay but they also only offer full day kindergarten. They go the same hours as the rest of the kids (7:50am-2:20pm). They also have preschool for 3 and 4 year olds and they have the same hours. There is no half day option. At the public schools it is free, obviously.

There is a charter school here that goes from 8:30am-4:30pm every single day and it is 5-7 year olds.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My son attended full-day public school kindergarten last year for free. However, it was war getting him in the full-day rather than half.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 12:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Depends of the district and how the funding is allocated. I teach all day K and it is free. My kids had the $3000 tuition in our home district.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Wow. Why would you pay for public school when you could send them to private? And I thought kindergarten was mandatory.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:09 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• My son will be attending Kindergarten starting in August for a full day (8am - 3:30pm).

Kindergarten is not ALWAYS mandatory. There are some areas where it is. There are areas where it is a full day, and areas where it is a half day. It sounds like you parents are in one of the areas where it's a half day.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2009