Hartz Flea and Tick Drops?

I have a white lab/shar pei mix and she has short hair. About 30 minutes ago a I put Hartz brand flea, tick, and misquito drops on her. The instructions said to start at the base of the neck and run a straight line down to the base of the tail. However, now I have a ugly, greasy looking line straight down my dogs back! :(

Is it suppose to be like this? Will it eventually dry or something? What should I do?
This is the first time I have used anything like this on her

BabyBeans0506

Asked by BabyBeans0506 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pets

• Hartz is a very dangerous brand to use and I do not suggest the use of this product to anyone. as for the line, it washes off and you can bathe your dog without worry that it will "wash off".
    All the brands pretty much have the same potency, so this does not mean that you should go with an expensive brand next time, just do some research on particular products before you put them on your pet. Hartz for example, has had a bad rep for putting "extra" ingredients in their products that can be harmful, if not deadly, to pets and people.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:21 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• IMO Hartz is a useless brand. But yes they all leave an oily residue. And it will dry. Avoid touching the area and wash your hands. Make sure the kiddo's don't pet him while its wet.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:09 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• We have used the Hartz flea and tick brand when we were in a pinch when we couldn't get into a vet for like 2 weeks (and I was nervous about my dog getting ticks) it really isn't useless (by the way) it worked really well. The residue will go away after about a day. But make sure you don't let any of the kids touch the dog, and if you do, wash your hands really well! Luckily for us, our dog loves being outside most of the day, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but it does take a little while to dry! Good luck mama!!
    Anonymous

• Fwhew....thanks guys! :) I was freakin out over here because I was thinking I was gonna have to wash it off and have wasted money on something that left my pup oily!....lol....Good to hear that it dries after a bit of time. I have a 2 and a 3 year old and its hard to keep thier hands off of the dog (heehee). I will take her outside to spend some time in the grass and sun now. I hate Ticks! Yuck, and really needed to get my dog covered before letting her spend long hours outdoors. Thanks ladies!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Please becareful with the store bought medicine. My mom used a flea treatment on her doxie that she bought from Wal-Mart (not sure which brand), because she could not get into her vet. Her dog had a severe reaction and had 2 trips to the ER vet for treatment.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 5:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Just watch your dog closely that she cant reach the area that the treatment is applied my mom used the hartz brand on her cat and the cat ingested some of it and got very sick and almost died.
    babyspots17

Answer by babyspots17 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2009