Bread Maker + Four differences

Ok, I have all purpose flour. But the recipe I want to do calls for a different type of flour. Can I use the all purpose flour instead??

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 2:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You can, but it might make a difference to the taste or the texture, might make it more dense or lighter. I'd just try it and see what happens. Worst thing is that you learn that yes, you definitely need ot use what it calls for. Best thing is that you discover it's great with all purpose and you make it again.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Using all purpose flour instead of bread flour won't result in taste differences but it will give the bread a different texture and it may not rise as well. I've got a recipe that works wonderfully with all purpose flour and the family LOVES it!

RICE BREAD
    1/2 c. cooked white or brown rice
    1 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
    Put the above ingredients in a 2 cup measure, add enough warm water to make 1 1/2 c. Dump in bread machine pan. Add:
    2 tsp. salt
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    3 c. all purpose flour (I've also used 1/2 white & 1/2 wheat or all whole wheat flour)
    1 1/2 tsp. yeast
    Depending on your preference, you can set the machine to the desired crust setting for white bread OR use the dough cycle, remove the dough when done and form a loaf, place in a greased loaf pan and let rise until 1 inch above pan sides. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from pan as soon as you remove from the oven.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Just give it a shot. I'd give you more, but I don't know what flour it calls for.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2009