How do i get my son to have his days and nights corrected?

teressacb

Asked by teressacb at 2:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he? If he's less than 4 months you pretty much just have to go with his schedule. As he gets older you can focus on getting a routine in place. Start with a solid bedtime routine and then work on consistent nap times.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• When my son was younger we had him nap in his swing or pack N play in the livingroom where there was a lot of light and noise. At night, make sure his room is completely dark when you put him to bed. That seemed to work for us.
    Anonymous

• during the day open the curtains/blinds, put the tv or radio on, run the dishwasher, washer/dryer, sing and talk to him, dance around with him, play with him, take him out to the store or park... at nighttime keep the volume low, give a bath before bedtime, read a story or sing a lulluby then put him to bed. he'll get the hang if it! my son got the hang of day and night around 5 months old. he fell more into a routine for naps and bedtime! I still followed HIS cues but it still seemed to fall around the same period each day! GL
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I just ryed to keep mine up as much as possible during the day.
    CharlotteluvsJ

Answer by CharlotteluvsJ at 2:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my dd had her days and nights mixed up really really bad at the beginning and my pedi said to leave her alone and go with her schedule and by 8 weeks she adjusted herself and was sleeping through the night
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 2:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• They eventually correct themselves. At 4 weeks, we started a nighttime routine and still stick to it and did it at the same time every night. Over the weeks we have been able to back it up to 9pm but we started it at 11:00pm at 4 weeks. We take her clothes off, change her diaper, rub lotion on her (aveno calming lotion) and put PJs on. then i swaddle her minus her arms (she does not like them swaddled) give her a bottle then rock her to sleep. it took a few weeks but I do believe that is what helped. She was going to bed at like 5am, then it back to 4,3,2,1:30,1 and so on till she was going to bed at 11pm. Now she goes to bed at 9 and sleeps till 7:15 without waking up at night and is 14 weeks old.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 3:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Start a bed time routine. Keep things quieter later in the day to single bed time. When he does take naps make sure he's not taking too long of naps during the day, that way by bed time he will be sleepier. Also, only do this if he's older than 4 months. Before routines really don't work.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 4:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009