Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is he going to be okay?

My 21 month old pitbull/boxer mix and my 6month old boxer/mut mix got into all kinds of stuff last night while i was sleeping. They chewed all kinds of stuff and whatever but there were 3 piles of vomit (like foamy/spit vomit) and when my older dog went to eat this morning (before he ate) he vomitted the spitty stuff again. Since then he has eaten and is still drinking but i have not seen him poop or pee. He is acting lazy but still pretty much being himself. Is he going to be ok? Any suggestions on what i can do for him?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pets

Answers (7)
  • what kind of stuff did they eat? if he got into medicans he could just have a upset stomach, but if he ate something with a string on it then that string could be tying off parts of intestin. i would call a local vet and just ask them what they want u to do.
    rainmommy

    Answer by rainmommy at 3:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

  • Yeah it really depends on what they ate. I have seen a dog that had boarded at my work for 10 days, vomit up a plastic bag, a plastic bottle and some grass. So yeah, that had been in his system for a LONG time. If you think something is obstructing an organ, you need to get him to the vet before something bad happens. The dog I was just talking about was very lucky that there wasnt any complications. Object like that can tear the stomach or intestines and cause internal bleeding, etc. I'd also keep a look out for bloat (where the stomach twists on its self).
    Elijahsmommy9

    Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

  • I would get them to the vet, dogs that ingest "things" can have serious problems if they are treated.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

  • If they "aren't" treated. sorry about the typo^^^^^^
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

  • If your dog is vomiting and/or not defecating chances are he has a blockage somewhere. Blockages can cause tissue to go necrotic if not addressed immediately. I suggest seeing your Vet ASAP. Your dog will require a set of radiographs and possibly a barium contrast study to determine if and where he is blocked. This is a serious matter and hopefully one that has a happy outcome for all involved. Good luck.

    equusvetgal

    Answer by equusvetgal at 10:18 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

  • If the vomit was yellow and foamy then most likely it was bile. Dogs throw up bile when their stomach is empty. If this is the case try giving him a biscuit at night before bed time to soak up the acid in his stomach.
    They may have gotten too excited as well which could cause them to throw up after a meal. If you dont see any diarrhea or bloody stool and your dogs appetite is okay then they should be fine.
    youngfirsttimer

    Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

  • Not pooping or peeing after eating is a bad sign. You might want to call around and see if there is a 24 clinic to go to or go first thing in the morning. IN the meantime, keep offering WATER so your pooches dont get dehydrated. If they poop out whatever they've ate in the meantime, theres a good chance things will be fine. Think about if you ate a piece of shoe... it might take a bit longer to get through the digestive system then just a hot dog would. kwim? I dont want you to panic too badly without knowing that things might just be okay.
    MamaCarterof5

    Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN