My 9-month-old son still doesnt say mama, is that okay?

He says Dada and babbles quite a bit -- although most of it is in a loud high-pitched tone, but he does babble. He just hasn't said mama yet. He turned 9 months last Tuesday.

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes. that's perfectly okay. ...Dont worry about it.

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My DD is a year old and she can say it i have heard her say it but she just will not say it anymore she jebber jabs and says dada, baba, ya But no mama : (

Answer by raemommy at 2:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My son didn't say mama until he was a year old... but he said dada and all sorts of easier babbles. It just depends on the kid - each one goes at a different pace, even with language development. Sounds like he's doing good.

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• yes thats totally normal! and at 9 m/o most babies arent exactly saying intentional words yet anyways. so saying dadda, doesnt necessarily mean he's saying dadda to dadda. it's just an easy "word" to form with the mouth!

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My 12 month old still doesn't say "mama" "dada" "baba" or anything. His doc told me that a lot of babies don't talk until 15months and that is still considered "normal"

Answer by babyboomboom at 3:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• he will say it before you know it.

Answer by GreekMama28 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It's ok. My 10 month old only babbles and says da-da, lol. He won't say "mama' yet.

Answer by officerjoeys at 4:17 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Yes, that's totally fine!! None of my kids were saying "mama" at that age and they talk my ear off now.

Answer by Collinsky at 4:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my 13 month old son didnt say mama nether but when my oldest son was saying and repeating it and then he stated saying when my baby said dadda n my oldest no dadda say mama and now will say it ever now and then

Answer by ilovemyson2002 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Neither of my kids said mama at 9 months! This is not anything to be concerned about.

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2009