Grandma's Favorite

I've posted on here before about my MIL favoring my son over my daughter. My husband talked to her, there was a slight change, but nothing to make us feel better about it. My husband said that her mother/his grandmother was the same way, she favored him over his sister. Should I believe that we cannot change this? I feel bad for my daughter, she's the middle child too.

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• You can talk and try to stop it til you are blue in the face. Trust me I'm going through it to. Nothing will ever stop it til the kids are old enogh and smart enough to see what is going on. Once they stand up for themsleves and silbings nothing will change. I know its hard seeing it and no matter what don't talk bad about "grandma" infront of the kids. It will only make it worse. Best of luck.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I don't think that there is much you can do or say, I honestly think that it is something in the child that reminds her of her past and that is why she is that way, I am the second grandchild of 10 and i am hands down the favorite and i have been since i was little I remind my grandma of her sisters we do everything together and i take interests in her interests, and with my grandfather I always went to the garage and tried to build things with him to this day at 23 I go over to their house and bend over backwards for them I guess I just showed a ton of interest in learning anything i could from them maybe your daughter should show interest in something that your MIL likes so she gets that equal attention I know it hard to put a child through that but with my cousins and siblings they had no interest in the thing my grandparents did and that is why they are so distant
    VanessaCalhoun

Answer by VanessaCalhoun at 3:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• DD will be fine. My grandmother (dad's mom) hated me but my mom told me no to take it personally. It was my grandmother's issue not me. My grandmother actually hated my mom and gave me grief over it. Just teach your dd that her grandmother has issues. A lot of old folks value males more than females. All the my male cousins were put through college by my grandparents. My IQ is as high as their's but no one even considered paying for education for females. I put myself through college bc I believed in me. Tell your dd to believe in herself and she'll come out stronger in the end than her brother.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:21 PM on Jun. 6, 2009