What about your birth experience(s) did you not expect?

I didn't expect it to be so easy! It was basically 10 hours of waiting, epidural, I fell asleep, woke up and 10 minutes of pushing and Wha la! It was done with!

Oh I also didn't expect to get 17 stitches!! My son tore me apart!

MommyKKay

Asked by MommyKKay at 2:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didnt expect to poop and the nurse say "oh boy, you made a poopie" in front of my whole family, let alone TELL ME, because lord knows I prolly wouldnt have known otherwise!
    AND allow family I didnt even want in the room IN MY ROOM! I told the nurse upon my arivial not to inform anyone that I was a guest there except for my husband!
    I will NEVER go back to that hospital again!
    Anonymous

• With my oldest I didn't know anything about having a baby, I had done no research at all. So I ended up with a huge epsiotomy. Also I was expecting a small baby, I had never seen a baby over 19 in and 6.5lbs. My son was 8.5lbs and 22 inches...he was huge. I said, that's not a baby he's a toddler! He also had long fingernails which freaked me out.
    With the other tow I was more more prepared, so nothing really shocked me.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• With my first I didn't expect to tear so bad (3rd degree tear) and need internal and external stitches seeing as how she was 4.5 wks early. She wasn't that big either - 6lbs 2oz. She had a big head, lol

With my second I didn't expect him to be so small. I measured bigger, u/s said he would be around 8 lbs, and he was hard to push out. I looked at him and was like "Oh my gosh he's huge!" They weighed him and he was a whopping 6lbs 13oz., lol. I guess it was stuck in my head that he was going to be big because they said he would be.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• anon301, lmao i pooped too! that was with my 1st child, and i didnt expect it to be so incredibly easy either. of course i didnt expect the indescribable emotions you feel when you hold the baby in your arms for the first time. i didnt expect my 2nd child to be 10 lbs 2 ozs!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I didnt expect to not dialate...ever. I also didnt expect my special needs kids to witness my water breaking in front of them at work and them freaking out when I started to panic. I also didnt expect that I could love something so much within a second of seeing her.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 3:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It was much easier than all the horrific L&D stories I'd heard. It hurtm but it was never unbearable. Just over 4 1/2 hours, drug free 8lb 3oz baby boy. I just listened to my body, stayed mobile at home, avoided interventions for the hour I was at the hospital and tried not to push in my face. I didn't expect to feel so energized afterwards. It was awesome.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I didnt expect to be in early labor for two days, active labor for 20 hours, and push for 2 1/2. Shoot me. Ha! It was terrible. Then there she was. I heard her crying and I was in total shock of the whole ordeal. She was so cute! With tons of hair.
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009