How long does your newborn eat for during each feeding? (for breastfeeding moms)

I'm just wondering how long other newborns eat - and also, if your baby stops wanting your breast after just 10 mins or so but then 5 mins later wants to eat again - do you put her back on the same breast or switch?
thanks! :)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here's evidence about how variable it can be from baby to baby... my first daughter nursed for one full hour (then took an hour off, then nursed again... whew!), and my second nursed for maybe 20 minutes, but more like 10-15 (now at 9 months it's a 5 minute affair). Is your baby falling asleep after 10 minutes and then waking up to want more? How old is your baby? There are some things you can do to encourage them not to snack that way (help keep them awake, etc) but it's likely your baby's style... The general rule of thumb I always went by was to start with a different breast each time I nursed... no matter how much baby took, an regardless of whether or not she took some from each side. I guess if you're fairly certain your baby didn't take much, you could offer that breast again 5 minutes later, especially if you still see it as part of the same feeding.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:10 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Well with my son, he nursed every 4 hours for 10 min. on each side.

My newborn daughter however.. Well she would nurse for 5-10 minutes then not want more. But then an hour later she would want to nurse again. She was getting really fussy and it was because she was getting to much foremilk (the milk that comes first) and not enough hind-milk. She was gaining weight really fast. And that's because the formilk is really fatty. It was making her seem like she had colic because it was too much fatty milk on her little tummy. So now I nurse her on one side for 15-20 minutes every 3 hours. She is a completely different baby!! And I have time to do other things besides nurse her all the time.. lol

If the baby wants to nurse again after nursing 10 minutes and had pulled off. Well I would switch sides, But still start on the side they ended on after you switched. Does that make sense?
    Meagan22085

Answer by Meagan22085 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• As for offering the same breast again or the other if baby wants to nurse again after a short time, it depends. IF you feel baby really drained the first breast on that first feeding, then offer the other breast. If you think baby did not drain the first breast, then offer it again if it has only been 5-20 minutes.

There is good info on how to know if baby "finished" the first breast and when to switch at Finish the First Breast First

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2009