how long do you try to burp for?

My 2 weeks old rarely burps after feeding and I am finding myself taking less and less time try to burp her.......how long do you all try to burp for? I would hate to find out that the reason she doesn't burp very often is just because I'm not trying for long enough! I really only try for a minute or so.

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 2 week old doesn't burp often either, but she is my 3rd, sometimes they don't have to burp they only really need to burp when they have excess gas in their tummies from sucking in air from the bottle, so if she doesn't burp and doesn't act fussy then don't worry its ok.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Oh lord, when my daughter was that little I'd try foreeeeever to get her to burp. She had a reflux problem though, so I think that had something to do with her having trouble burping. I'm not saying your daughter has reflux or anything though =] Don't feel bad if she doesn't burp right away! Just keep trying, she'll burp when she's ready. It'll get *so* much better in a few months when she can burp on her own when you sit her up. You won't have to pound her back forever =D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• With my first, it took a long time and it really, really mattered (she was gassy and colicky and that cut down moderately on the fussing). With my second, she usually burped easily but I'd still work for it if necessary at that young age. That said, I know some parents who swore their babies never needed to be burped. I'd try just gently rubbing her back while she's in a sitting position (kind of folded over) on your leg. I've found that more effective with the newborns.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my daughter has her days. Some days she will burp very easily after every ounce then some days, I will try for about 3 mins after every ounce and if she wont I just continue to feed her then at the end I keep going till she does. One time it took 15 mins. I found out different ways to burp her. Sitting on my lap and hold her face with one hand and then pat her back, holding her while she is sitting and gently bouncer her up and down..expirement around, maybe you will find a new way that makes her burp a little easier.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 3:26 PM on Jun. 6, 2009