how do I make my picky eater to eat?

I started every morning with breakfast such as pancakes, eggs, bacons and milk. My 2.5 years old son doesn't like to eat everything except pancakes. Then the rest of the day is completely different story..he asks for junk foods such as chips, ice cream and candies. I try to break this habit by giving him any option what to eat. He doesn't like to eat anything soft such as soup, cream of wheat, oatmeal, etc but he loves chicken, doesnt like vegetables... I try to get him to eat fruits but he spits every time he eats them. he will choke if he eats them.

DeZsMaMa

Asked by DeZsMaMa at 3:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He wont choke, he is making himself choke which is a different story. Don't offer him what he wants. Tell him this is what is for breakfast, if your not going to eat it then you can wait until lunch. Make 1 thing for lunch and offer him nothing else. Tell him the same thing and then if he refuses offer him the same thing for dinner. He will eat when he is hungry enough. He is making himself sick or choke to get away with it as he knows you will give in. If he chokes tell him he needs to stop and eat his food or he will go hungry. If he eats he gets a treat and if not he gets nothing.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

I totally agree with the above poster.
    nateandlo

Answer by nateandlo at 4:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I read a good quote about this...
    I can control what I offer my child and when she eats. She controls what of those options and how much she actually eats.

The best advice I've seen is what I'm trying now:
    I do NOT talk about the food at all. No "You've had this before" comments. No "Just one bite" pleas. No "There now, see? You liked it." I told you so's.
    We have set meal and snack times. No food any other times. I make sure there is one thing at each meal my daughter will eat. I vary that during the week to try to cover all of the food groups. I put a tiny bit of everything on her plate, put it in front of her, and then eat my own. I make no comments about what or how much she eats. I simply let her know that if she wants more of something, she can have it. If she chooses to not eat, that's her choice and she is old enough (not quite 3) to make that choice.
    It's working. As I've dropped the fight, so has she.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• And I do not ever bribe her to eat. No "Eat a bite of corn and you can have a cookie" pleas. All that does is teach her that corn must be so bad that she has to be bribed to eat it. Not at all the lesson I want to teach.
    If the family is going to have dessert or a treat, she gets one too - regardless of what or how much she has eaten that day.
    As I said, it's helping. Though it is horrible to send your child to bed with an empty belly - but that is the choice she made 3 days in a row. Even after I made her favorite food for dinner (hot dogs). She sat at the table, watching us eat our hot dogs, and refused to eat a single bite. Her choice. She slept all night and ate a good breakfast the next day. She was simply testing to see where the boundaries of the rule were.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• We have been struggling with this ourselves for a long time. Our daughter is almost 4 and we've realized we can't make her eat. We can make sure she has food to eat, but she gets to decide how much she eats. Our daughter will also 'choke' and nearly vomit (actually has on occasion) so I know what you're going through. You just have to give up control. Make sure your son has healthy options to eat and don't give him sweets/treats throughout the day. They say a child won't starve themselves so just know that if he doesn't seem to eat alot one day he'll probably make up for it another day. Just don't make it a daily battle, as it's been in our house, it only makes things worse. Like another poster said, give him his food and then ignore whether he's choosing to eat or not. If he doesn't eat that meal, he goes hungry til the next meal. Good luck with it! Things are still a struggle at our house but slowly getting better.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 10:20 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• We have struggled with our three year old for, well, three years now and I've finally given up the battle. I just put a small portion of whatever my husband and I are eating on her plate and if she eats it, HORRAY! And if she doesn't, I tell her that the "Kitchen is Closed" until the morning. Works well. She eats when she's hungry regardless of what I give her and if she isn't hungry, she doesn't eat and that's OK with me. I can't force her, and as her pediatrician reminded me, she won't starve herself.
    chloesmomrocks

Answer by chloesmomrocks at 8:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2009