How is this brainwashing?

People claim Christianity is a brainwashing method. Can you explain how this can be? The whole faith can be summed up to this:
Love and appreciate God our one true maker,
gain self-control over the curse of sin that we had inherited from Eve,
and love one another as we love ourselves(which means treat people as you want to be treated.)
How is this brainwashing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I did use my mind to decide that the Bible is the inspired word of God. I have been convinced through my study of it, and now I trust it. And I love being "brainwashed" lol. My brain has been washed by the word of God. (I just had to go there : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 9:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• You forgot the part that says, "This is the one and only way to God, and anyone who doesn't agree will be punished forever and ever."
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• That's programming a person what to think. That's called brainwashing.
    Anonymous

• because they are also taught to beleive that they must raise their children to belong to their faith and bring them up knowing only God as their savior so they are followers later.
    If a person is not exposed to other ideas before they decide on their own, they have been brainwashed.
    Anonymous

• it is only brainwashing when a Christian takes everything in the Bible literally and they don't use the mind God gave them to decide for themselves what His plan is. Many Christians just take what their preacher tells them at face value and only read verses in the Bible that the preacher suggests. They don't do deeper into the faith to hear what God is really telling them. That's the way I see it at least.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• i agree kinda with anime mom its brain washing when people pick the bible apart and interpret it in a way that makes it say what they need it to. thats when it becomes a problem...just alot of interpretation
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• The reason that God decides to drown the entire world, killing nearly every living person and animal on earth, is his belief that people are evil and unworthy of existence (Genesis 6:5). So what if they were evil? As Lenny Bruce once exclaimed, “The fault lies with the manufacturer!” God allegedly created humans, yet he faults us for being guided by our desires, instincts, and natural tendencies. Since he’s supposedly omniscient, God realized how we were destined to turn from the beginning. Let's see how christians answer this. Because for every problem or contradiction found in the bible they have a pre-programmed response. Nine times out of ten it's " You're taking it out of context."

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:25 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• the love one another part is what jumps out at me because there are too many so called Christians that say it and look for anyway to demean, discriminate, or judge people by skewing verses of the bible to suit their beliefs and they teach their children the same I find that brain washing.

nateandlo

Answer by nateandlo at 4:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• There is no original sin and I didn't inherit anything from Eve.

Let's take the particular story and look at it from another perspective. Eve in the story is treated to a piece of fruit by a talking snake. It took a spiritually advanced creature to deceive Eve in the story. On the other hand, in that same story, it took only a woman to deceive a man. Kinda puts a male down the totem pole. It's just a story.

If somebody tells you what to think or how to answer a question, that's brainwashing. If somebody convinces you that a book is the only word of god (who actually never wrote anything), that's brainwashing. If any tells you "God said......", it's brainwashing, because god didn't say anything, people did.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 4:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Speaking of the snake, did anyone else ever notice that the snake didn't lie? God told Adam and Eve if they ate from that tree (what was he doing putting it there if he didn't want them to eat from it in the FIRST PLACE?!) that they would surely die. The Snake told them that no, they wouldn't die but have the knowledge of good and evil just like God. Eve ate, she didnt' die. Adam ate, he didn't die. Their eyes were opened to knowledge they didn't have before. So who's the liar.... I'm not bashing, these are things that bothered me even as a child.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2009