Sharing candy with baby?

My mom says that if my 8 m/o has a tummy ache, sometimes peppermint will help. But what about other times? I'm eating a candy cane right now, and he obviously wants to try it, too. Do you think its ok for me to share a few licks with him? I hate eating in front of him w/o sharing. It just seems mean.

Joylynn77

Asked by Joylynn77 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 8 months as well and we give her anything we eat as long as its in small bites so she doesn't choke. It wont hurt him any.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my mom gave my son ice pops, caramel on his lips, and all typs of random things when i wasnt looking..he licked it off, and laughed...cried when it went away..it wont hurt him..but its a bad habbit to start
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Candy is not usually a good thing to give a child at that age. If you want to share, maybe give him a small piece of fruit or veggie. IDK just a thought.
    Anonymous

• An 8 month old doesn't comprehend "if mommy has it then I want it too." candy is not something you want to start your baby getting used to.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I agree - don't get him used to it.
    But your mom is right - peppermint and black licorice (fennel) have a long history of calming upset tummies. If you need it for that, try an herbal tea or Gripe Water.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Why do you say that, calliesmommie? Everytime we eat or drink something, my DS is grabbing for it and trying to mimic us. It sure seems like he wants what we have!
    Joylynn77

Answer by Joylynn77 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• don't give your baby candy.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It won't hurt your l/o my baby is 8 months too and gets little tastes of things when I'm eating them. Not everything I eat, but just here and there. Seriously, it's not going to hurt your child and it's not going to make them have a "sweet tooth" My child still eats her veggies like a champ. Plus a couple of licks of a candy cane isn't that much at all, especially baby licks. It's not like you're feeding your l/o half a candy cane or an entire cookie or something.

Keeping sweets from a baby doesn't mean they'll stay away from it when they're older. Plus, what's a life with no sweets? So even if it did lead to your child liking sweets when they're older it wouldn't be the end of the world- they'll like candy whether or not you give it to them now.
    Anonymous

• calliesmommie is wrong about the comprehension thing in fact they tell you to watch for them watching you when you eat to start solids.... they want to do what you do and have what you have. Personally I have been guilty of sharing my naughty food with my son... once I let him lick som chocolate off my fingers. He loved it. But it really isn't a habit I want to start and I wouldn't recommend it. I have come to terms with the fact that his grandma will let him in on the wonderful world of sweets when I am not looking so I will be the strong willed parent who doesnt give her baby candy, even if I'm eating it right in front of him. PS I save my candy for after the baby has gone to bed now LOL
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:36 PM on Jun. 6, 2009