My 11 week old is throwing up...

Normally he does not throw up alot but today he has thrown up everything he has eaten until his throw up turned yellow! Should I be concerned and go to the emergency room or wait and see if he can hold food down later? (breastfed 90 % and 10% Formula) We tried both today and nothings worked!
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try to keep her on 100% breast milk for the next 28-48 hours if you can. It is a lot easier to digest, unlike formula it is considered a "clear liquid" which is what is often the recommendation with vomiting.
    Watch her carefully and take her in if you are concerned. Keep a close eye on wet diapers and if she is not peeing enough then she is getting dehydrated and you will definitely want to get her in asap!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It could be a stomach bug. If he doesn't have a fever then he may be over eating or eating to fast. Try and slow it down a little and rest half way through the bottle. If this doesn't work and he continues for more than 48 hours then call your doctor.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• the yellow is probably bile beacuse there is nothing left to throw up. Try smaller amounts and get some pedialyte for infants. If he doesn't get better then see a dr.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• When my daughter was 7 months old she threw up twice. I called the doc who told me that if she threw up even ONE more time we needed to get to the ER immediatly. Babies throwing up is serious. They get extremely dehydrated very quickly! If it is more than just regular spit up I would say take him in, asap! Have you called his doctor?? This could get really serious really fast. You really need to at least get in touch with his doctor..... GL I hope he gets better soon!
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 4:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• does his mouth look moist? If he is wetting 6 diapers in a 24 hour period and his mouth still looks moist ride it out but call the doc if his mouth doesnt look very moist go to the er now also if he seems lethargic take him in right away
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:40 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• oh yeah and pedialyte is easier to keep down than breastmilk or formula so try that for a few feedings
    katiekruschke

• At 11 weeks I don't think any vomiting is okay. Take your baby to the doctor, or at least call them.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 5:50 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• PP said "pedialyte is easier to keep down than breastmilk or formula"

NOT TRUE! If you are breastfeeding you DO NOT need to use pedialyte. Breastmilk is considered a clear liquid and is better for baby than pedialyte. You only need to switch to pedialyte if you are formula feeding.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2009