Starting a home-based business...

Hi there!

I'm from CA and the city I live in requires a Home Occ Permit for all home-based businesses. I live in a rental so I'm required to obtain the owner/prop manager's signature. I went to the leasing ofc yesterday and was advised they can't just sign off on something like this, it has to be done by their legal dept. I should expect to hear back Mon or Tues. I'm expecting a no at this point since the form mentions absolving the city of all liabilities. The agent even told me they've never seen this form before and they have about 200 units or so. I'm thinking I will run into this problem wherever I live as long as I'm renting. Should I just go ahead and do it anyway? I will be filing my fictitious business name and will also be applying for a seller's permit - I don't believe I will have any issues with those.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

m.j.77

Asked by m.j.77 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would follow the rules and guidelines in case of a problem later. I'm sure that this will work out for you.

Good luck girl
    Anonymous

• Is there a legal aid place near you? They do pro-bono work I believe. They should be able to answer any legal questions. Maybe the company you are renting from has it wrong...
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 6:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I will check into it. The leasing agent told me they don't have a problem with me running the business, I guess they just don't want anything to do with it on paper.
    m.j.77

Answer by m.j.77 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• If I were you I would contact other home business owners around you... Avon, MaryKay, Tupperware ladies, And see what they advise. They have been through it. They may have some insite. If you let me know what city you are in, I can try to find someone on one of my teams...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Hi Sabrina,

I live in Santa Clarita (Stevenson Ranch to be exact), part of Los Angeles county. =)
    I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
    m.j.77

Answer by m.j.77 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• Imagine if you go through all the trouble of getting the home occupancy permit and are a legitimate business, because you are following the rule and guideline how much integrity you will start your business with. The the economy the way it is right now the California governmental agencies are going after fines from the small businesses that do not have the money to fight back! Quick & easy money for the cities & counties.

Would you like to be the home based business that stay in business because they did it right the first time? Talk to your property management & keep on them until they make a choice. You can also contact your local Small Business Development Center, Small Business Administration or Chamber of Commerce to help you get this done right. You might be able to rent a cheap office co-op where you can use that as your business address. Ask them to help you find ways to get around the challenge & be legitimate!
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 4:25 AM on Jun. 12, 2009

• Thanks for your reply Kimberley! They actually signed it, but now the city will not accept a faxed copy so I have to wait for the original. Hopefully they don't make me wait too long, I'm not even sure if the legal dept is in CA. I was expecting it to be easier than this, but I guess I was wrong. I still have to apply for a fictitious bus name/dba then a seller's permit. I haven't even started my website, but I'm thinking that part will be a lot more exciting than what I'm going through now. This will take time I'm sure, but it hasn't lessened my enthusiasm at all.

Btw, do you know what the requirements for expenses to qualify as business deductions? Do I have to show proof of earnings for the year even if I just started?

I've never hear of office co-ops. Are they pretty common? I will check into it. =)
    m.j.77

Answer by m.j.77 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 12, 2009