How can I get my 2 1/2 year old to take a nap?

My 2 1/2 year old daughter gets really tired and cranky by 2 or 3 in the afternoon and definitely still needs a nap. Some days she takes one if we are out and she falls asleep in the car or if I happen to trick her into closing her eyes while she's watching Dora after lunch. ;-) She was never a good napper as a baby and we never really established a routine. She goes to bed without TOO much fuss at night, but when I suggest a nap during the afternoon she cries and acts like it's a punishment. I've tried to make it positive, but nothing I've tried seems to get her to settle down. Please help! Thanks!!!!

MamaApril2

Asked by MamaApril2 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• read a book and lay down with her may work, watch a movie together and have snacks, go for a walk in the stroller. NEVER say "would you like a nap". ALthough there has been times where my 2 1/2 yr old tells me he wants a nap, but thats very rare!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my daughter stopped napping at 1.5yrs so i wouldnt know what to tell ya..maybe instead of napping, tell her its quiet time, take her to her room read a few stories to her, then let her read by herself for a while, or give her a colouring book and let her colour..give her alone time, whch also will give you youre alone time..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I lay down with my daughter. I sometimes put a book on tape or cd on so instead of crying she listens to the story. She even likes to pick the story out. About ten minutes later, she's sleeping.
    Tirzahsmom

Answer by Tirzahsmom at 4:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Call it a quiet time or a rest time. No TV, no walk, no car ride. She must lie on her bed in a dim room. She can read a book or play with stuffed animals but she must stay in bed until the timer rings.
    You check on her before the timer is set to go off. If she's asleep, you turn off the timer. If she's awake, leave her. If she does sleep, when you hear her wake up, set the timer to 1 minute so she hears it go off at the end of her "rest time".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• You are just going to HAVE to establish a routein. Right now she has learned that if she fusses enough that you will compromise. I am sure that after a week of doing the EXACT SAME routein every afternoon, she will re-learn that naps are going to happen.
    squish

Answer by squish at 5:02 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Mine is the same way. This is what I do. lol #1 rule I cannot say the word NAP."Weather permitting" I take her outside before or after lunch..let her run her little legs off and play. Then we come inside I sit her on my lap in our recliner/rocker.. read a couple stories or turn on her fave cartoon. She's awake maybe 10 mins and passes out in my lap. Then I lay her down.
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 3:53 AM on Jun. 7, 2009