How do you know when your child is "over-scheduled"?

I've seen "experts" talking about how kids are over-scheduled today. How they go from activity to activity with no free time to play.

How do you know if your preschooler is overscheduled? Mine is in 5 Mommy and Me classes this summer... one a day, half hour to an hour each. Is that too many? She seems happy and says she likes them all. She certainly has plenty of free play time in the day.

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I say 'watch her.'

You'll know if she's dealing with more stress than she can handle by her behaviour. Does she want babyish things? Does she resist going somewhere later in the day that she would normally enjoy? Does she seek solitude as soon as she gets home, or resist getting up in time or getting ready to go?

While it may be fine initially, stress is added to stress -- no one starts a day with a clean slate from yesterday, so while it may be fantastic now, you may see it deteriorate over time. It may end up that 5 days in a row is too much -- you'll know when it becomes obvious that she's lost some of her joy, energy or ability to fall asleep easily.

It may not deterioriate and it may well be completely fine forever. You won't know until you watch with an open mind. You can't get the 'votes in' that say 'it's fine' and then never look at her reaction to see if it is actually fine with her body and mind.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:34 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• The time is so short I dont think its a problem. I worked in a day care and seen kids there from 6am to 6pm. There parents would come running in with soccar uniforms, dance uniforms etc. The kids were exhausted, tired, hungry had homework and just wanted to go home. Instead of a "IM happy to see you" there was yelling "hurry up we have to go". That to me is over scheduled.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I would say that is fine. My opinion on over scheduled is when your child is involved with 3-4 activities at a time.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 7:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I think you are good, once a day for about an hour sounds reasonable. For me over scheduling is when the kid is literally going from one thing to the next with no actuall break, well maybe the break is in the backseat of the car when they are traveling to the next activity. That to me is extreem.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2009